+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ched Evans

Ched Evans

Seen on Sky Sports News that he will be welcomed back by Sheffield United fans, despite a petition signed by 60,000+ football fans urging the club not to resign him.

Thoughts? - view external link

re: Ched Evans

Pathetic, not right, not moral, not on!

Lee Hughes, Gary Madine (also back here in Sheffield, though played for Carlisle against us wearing a tag last season)and now Ched Evans. . . not right.

A tricky one but if you've done your time, you've done your time!
    A bit of remorse wouldn't go amiss though.
    Not sure continuing to protest his innocence does him any favours ...?!

Quote Originally Posted by kidsarealright
    Seen on Sky Sports News that he will be welcomed back by Sheffield United fans, despite a petition signed by 60,000+ football fans urging the club not to resign him.

Thoughts?
    I've never understood the obsessive blinkered support offered by some fans. It really dosent matter what crime some players have done, it seems scum like Lee Hughes and now seemingly Ched Evans gain a cult status amongst the supporters of the team they turn out for. It's pathetic beyond belief.
    Ched Evans is a filthy rapist. And I would love to see the reaction of these idiots saying he's every right to a 2nd chance if it happened to one of their own family. Playing football is different, the club represents the area, so it's not a case of a bloke just trying to get back on track after serving time. The nature of the crime Evans has done should preclude him from such a role.
    As usual though it seems that a perpetrator of crime gets away with a lenie

All prisoners should admit their crimes and show genuine remorse before even being considered for parole!

Speaking in general terms, I suppose that crooks can be playing for a club or running a club.

Maybe what makes the difference is that the latter are difficult to convict.

Anyway, we know that the Alex are into development, not rehabilitation.

As Somerset says, it's a tricky one, but I tend to agree with Jwar and Oger.
    If this had been a teacher, he would have been barred from the profession; if he'd been a doctor, same thing.
    Being a professional footballer - and the kudos that involves - played a direct part in the crime, I believe. Plus, he is a role model as a professional footballer.
    I see the 'done his time' argument, but I think it is a matter of the convict finding another role in life away from the limelight and controversy.
    A journalist who admitted plagiarism (a relatively minor crime) not only resigned from the newspaper, but also stopped writing as a journalist.