+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Don't take all Billy Davies' advice on board, Steve

Don't take all Billy Davies' advice on board, Steve

Our gaffer at the end of last season said he was often in contact with Billy Davies, ex Forest manager.

I have a couple of friends who worked closely with N Forest and they gave me a bit of insight as to why the wheels fell of last season.

They said B Davies was an excellent manager when things were going well but when they had a wobble mid-season, the whole atmosphere at the club changed. Davies was very sensitive to criticism and turned the club into his own fiefdom and took control of interviews and banned certain journalists who were being critical. A club that had been very warm and welcoming turned into a tense and uncommunicative place and things started to spiral as divisions between the media and club turned sour. Davies also froze out players who were not performing.

My friend's reports were supported by an excellent piece in the Sunday Football League paper by a Nottingham journalist who documented the decline at Forest.

Just thinking if the Radio Sheffield incident cou

re: Don't take all Billy Davies' advice on board, Steve

Not just RS. There was the spat with the Advertiser. Becoming a habit!

Evans Out!

It didn't do another member of Evans' contact list, Sir Alex Ferguson much harm when he boycotted talking to the BBC for six years.

The spat with the Advertiser was nothing to do with Steve Evans, but occurred after an incident with the commercial department. The other thing to remember is that I would imagine that on both occasions the action taken would have to be sanctioned by Tony Stewart. Don't think for one minute he'd risk the clubs reputation do you?
    The reasons for the Advertiser being "banished" was in the public domain and we as individuals had every right to make a judgement on the rights and wrongs of the action the club took at the time. As far as I'm aware the BBC R Sheffield and Sheffield Star issue hasn't been made public. Sure there are lots of rumours flying around on social media but that's all they are rumours. As well as the rumours on social media there are lots of people already making judgements on the rights and wrongs of the situation. How can they do that without knowing the facts?
    Steve Evans is a passionate, wears his heart on his sleeve sort of man. I could well imagine him having a

I think SE & PR will be well aware that for the first time in a long time they will need to contend with and learn to deal with a season of struggle rather than accumulating 85+ points and winning most. This season will be a true test of another side of their managerial capabilities but also it will be for us too as supporters. We need to show them patience, oodles of support and despite results let them know that we believe in what they're trying to do. As supporters we need to hope like crazy we can stay in this division for long enough to create a Championship infrastructure, which includes extending the ground to allow us to compete on a more level playing field financially. Until we hit this threshold I feel it would be unfair to not give SE & PR the time & patience to try and build us up to this.

I'm sure SE is savvy enough to see other managers errors and not emulate them.