+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defence

Defence

I am not going to get on George Ray's back as he's really just a kid starting his career. I am going to get at the man who has started him for the last 3 league games.

Considering he was a defender during his playing days, it would appear that SD has no clue how to do it. We have shipped 9 goals in 3 games already this season and this after letting our best defender go for nothing. Also allowed a decent prospect leave (Mellor). If you thought things were bad last season...

Old head or two needed at the back and also a defensive coach is a must. Failing to do so, we'll be down by Christmas.

re: Defence

and I'm not one for a knee jerk reaction - but, and my memory is not what it was, that was the most inept defensive display I can remember at Gresty Road.
    Ray should have been removed, even if it would harm is confidence - that had been shot to pieces after the first two calamitous mistakes.
    Molyneux was a waste of space - some have Oliver as their player-of-choice for brickbats, mine is currently the ex Accrington man.
    For me there were two Alex players last night: Haber, who must be wondering what he's signed up for; and Waters, who was given as much support as a wet bog roll.

Rochdale were better all round. And it doesn't half hurt for me to say that. They weren't good ... just better than the shower in red. >:-(

The shambolic defending has gone on long enough and needs serious and immediate action now.

I can tolerate a toothless attacking line because I understand that we can't just go out and buy a 20 goal a season striker - it'd be too expensive.
    It's not the same with experienced defenders though, I know they won't be cheap but I don't think that they'd break the bank either.

I was very patient last season, but I'm not sure that I could take another season like that and days out elswhere with my little lad for the same / less money are starting to seem more appealing than another depressing afternoon at Gresty Road.

Rochdale are ONE if not the Poorest teams in league One, and they don't have an Academy (lucky for them) and yet they tore this Crewe side apart. There Manager Harry? Hill must have seen our 2 pair Laurel and Hardy standing on the touchline "That's another fine mess they have got us into" by letting Ellis go They have done Nothing to address last years problem, and made it far worse.
    Obviously SD half time talk went down like a lead balloon, has he Lost the Plot and players, soon he will lose the support.
    this was Diabolical.

An ominous result for gauging the future against a club who in a national paper in a pre-season review thought they would be in a relegation battle but should stay up by the narrowest of margins.Crewe described in the same newspaper as another team I fear for. May be they will survive but again it will go down to the wire. It is already clear that the same old shortcomings of the defence just like last season have not been addressed. The signing of a couple of experienced defenders with a track record has simply not happened.Until the defending is sorted out things will not improve and relegation will be seen to be a reality very early on in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidler
    An ominous result for gauging the future against a club who in a national paper in a pre-season review thought they would be in a relegation battle but should stay up by the narrowest of margins.Crewe described in the same newspaper as another team I fear for. May be they will survive but again it will go down to the wire. It is already clear that the same old shortcomings of the defence just like last season have not been addressed. The signing of a couple of experienced defenders with a track record has simply not happened.Until the defending is sorted out things will not improve and relegation will be seen to be a reality very early on in the season.
    We had an experienced defender, who Davis paid out £70,000 for. His was Ellis and he was allowed to leave the club.

It was bad last night. We tried to play out of defence when sometimes the good old boot would have been better.
    I am afraid the lad at left back is not good enough, his positional play is poor and what happened to him running down the wing?
    Duggie and Ray were bad to say the least. Toots did not cover himself in glory
    A night yet again where we tried to pass it into the net instead of shooting.
    I wanted Molyneux to do well but he didn't
    Waters always does well for 60 mins and then fades as he is young
    Only positive was Haber who looks like a forward we have been crying out for. He won most of his headers and held the ball up well
    Well off now to buy my Bolton ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    We had an experienced defender, who Davis paid out £70,000 for. His was Ellis and he was allowed to leave the club.

At 23, I'm not sure he was that experienced, Mick - and what experience he did have was all in league 2.
    No, he's gone, he's history, he's not the answer - as last season showed.
    In my opinion, we need another Colin Murdock-type. Comes in, bags of experience and takes the armband.

A shame Guy Branston has retired ... ... ok, maybe joking about him as he was a lumbering oaf, but need someone with as many game behind him.

Sorry, don't agree. Ellis was the best we had. I've heard on good authority what he was on, and it wasn't bank breaking. Unfair to hammer George, he needs to be played in gradually, not relied upon as if a seasoned pro.

We all know that Harry would be a first choice centre back, but with who?

Duggy is ,and always will be a Crewe legend, but he looks adrift this season and Ray doesn't look ready yet.

We should have brought in a centre back to play with Harry, used Ray to Cover to gain experience and Duggy for competition.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast