+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thanks From A Fan

Thanks From A Fan

After years of seeing John Ryan as the face of the fans at Doncaster Rovers, I thought I would never say this, but I'm glad to see him go at last. His joy at seeing the success of the club since he became chairman in 2002 has been undeniable, but like a petulant child who can't get his way in recent years, he has had a negative impact on the club with his regular takeover attempts. Thanks for all you have done John, but like Paul Quinn it's time to say goodbye in the interests of the club.

Welcome David Blunt as the new chairman. I don't expect he will be on the stands at each match with the charismatic presence of Ryan, but at least it is the stability we so badly need right now.

And many thanks to Terry Bramhall for keeping the club going and always there when we need him. Without Bramhall's influence, guidance, cash and dedication I could see us being a league two side.

Thanks, and goodbye to Dick Watson who has been another pillar in the tower at Rovers but for perfectly good r

re: Thanks From A Fan

Why the "Dick Watson" farewell speech, he is not going anywhere that I have read, in fact totally the opposite.

http://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/sport/local-sport/doncaster- rovers-i-d-had-enough-admits-dick-watson-1-6795451

(I have had to put spaces in the links to post them).

This report says Watson is giving up football after health problems, etc and yet the following article says he is president.

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/ article/chairman-president-announced-1847347.aspx

Both articles issued today. Personally, I would welcome him as president of the club but I am aware his family want him to "take it easy" after his health scares.

Ah, the top link was a piece about WHY he chose to agree to Ryan take over. Since then he has had Bypass surgery and is now back in good order. As he says "Fully Committed to DRFC.

The good news continues as Keegan looks to sign a three-year deal and Wellens looks to sign a two-year deal this week.

At last we have a strong, solid management team and a good set of players. It is all coming together as long as we don't have injuries.

From the first 6 games of the season (4 league and 2 cup games) we have won 4, drawn 1 and lost 1. That's a pretty good start.

John Ryan is charismatic and a risk taker, and each and everyone of us enjoyed the ride with him at the helm. Under his leadership we had more relative success than the vast majority of teams in the four divisions, but there was always an underlying fear that the bubble might burst.

I think what we are seeing now under Bramall and Watson is a finely executed business plan. I don't think they share the extreme enthusiasm as Doncaster Rovers crazy Ryan but their desire to develop Doncaster Rovers into a stable and sustainable football club is just as powerful.

Our progress now, I feel, will be more long term and calculated. Bramall and Watson were two of the most successful businessmen in the country but their business empire wasn't built overnight. I think they bring the same philosophy to Doncaster Rovers...but one thing is for sure, these two guys will not want to fail, it's not part of their make up.