+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Formation - One of the many issues

Formation - One of the many issues

Reflecting on the game against Rochdale and also Barnsley to a degree, I think the current formation, leaves us badly exposed as we found to our cost against Rochdale which certainly lead to the equaliser.

Toots and Leigh have obviously been told to push forward at every opportunity.
    This is fine as long as we do not lose posession, otherwise as we found when Leigh lost the ball, he was out of position a quick counter attack and they are directly facing our back two of Duggy and Ray. That was the situation v Rochdale against a very quick counter attacking team as Rochdale, we were left dreadfully exposed.

If no new signings then need to change to a 5 4 1 formation. I got no problem with Toots and Leigh playing as wing backs because they have the pace and the quality of crossing to undertake the role.

This is a good tactic as well as it keeps the opposition defence/midfield occupied and mean we can press higher up the pitch, which lead to certainly Rochdale making some errors

re: Formation - One of the many issues

I fully agree with AoT about the formation, but not necessarily but the resolution! In the first two home matches that I also watched the defensive problems were there for all to see, as was the lack of support for Oliver or Haber up front. Thus not only did the full backs concede possession too easily, but so did the centre forward. It is also perhaps worth pointing out that Toots got far more help from Billy Waters than Greg Leigh did from either Inman or Molyneux, particularly the latter.

I would rather see us go back to the good solid old fashioned 4-4-2, which would give Haber someone to lay it off to (be it Inman, Walters, Oliver or whoever) and add a bit of weight out wide. Leigh is only 19 and to leave him exposed as he has been is shocking, only added to when Duggie sends him a hospital pass. The team then?

Garratt

Toots Dugdale Guthrie Leigh

Walters Turton Grant Ness

Haber Inman

AoT...I wouldn't drop our joint top scorer...it's Waters of course, (AA I'm sure it's a typo) and what's wrong with Turton and Nolan? Agree with having 5 at the back however we have to stop haemorrhaging goals.

AoT, understand where your coming from, but as we cant organise 4 at the back, I think theres no chance we can organise 5 !

4,3,3 got us playing football and out of the mire at the end of the season.

Its also what we set out to do this year. For me, where its going wrong is this "fluid" 3 idea that SD has. Just have 1 person designated to sit (the 21's did yesterday) and move across when the fullback bombs on. If you want to call it a 4,1,2,3 or a 4,2,3,1, its still a 4,3,3 just the middle 3 structured and with a purpose, not just in limbo as now.

SD's credibility and confidence in him stems from his chopping and changing, even when we win. The risk is trying to be too clever IMO.

It gives me no pleasure to say this but having watched the goals back, Ray was directly responsible for three of them in my opinion - more disturbingly he made very little attempt to retrieve the situation after we lost possession for the fifth - it was down his side,Duggy tried manfully to get across and get a block in.

He's bordering on unselectable at present and if we're not going to go with 5 at the back,I'd have Guthrie in left centre back and let Duggy switch to the right.

In fairness, it's a big ask for one as inexperienced as George to play centre back at this level, Harry had at least a season at full back before switching, not sure George could play full back but could be candidate for holding midfield role, might help his development but must n't be to the detriment of the team.

It may sound weired but who thought kids could come from playing other kids in the academy, straight into a professional league one team playing against mostly seasoned Pro's?

Its why the club would probably prefer L2 as they would not find it as hard. I think even this current team would struggle there at the moment though!

Academy results are meaningless.