+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Spend...disappointed?

re: Spend...disappointed?

What people have failed to mentiom in this thread is the importance of home grown talent. That is the way forward. We can't model ourselves on clubs who are spending a lot of money on players be it wages or transfer fees. We n eed to model ourselves more on teams like Crewe producing a stream of home grown players and then using these to sustain our place in this division. It disturbs me to think that we stil have no obvious talents coming through from the academy or even that we can measure how well the academy is doing however this is the way forward for us so maybe this is perhapds the area to invest in rather than spending millions on established players. Just a thought...

That's a great though Roly, but why ain't everyone doing it as successfully as crew? We have clearly invested in our academy each of the last 3 seasons. Like everything these days the competition for young lads signature in football is fierce and with several larger clubs within an hours drive of our academy I imagine the cream tends to rise to the top based on environment and choice.

Not saying I disagree with the advantages of having a productive youth system, however not sure about modelling ourselves on Crewe as a football club.

They're in a lower division and just got beat 2-5 at home by Rochdale.

Just read this thread and have to say there are some really sensible posts on it, i hope the club hierarchy read it some really good points.
    on a personal basis |i too am enjoying the roller coaster as SE always calls it but i too would not want us to chase the dream, ambition is all very well but we are a small fish in a big ocean as as various people have pointed out on this thread, stability is the key, don't know abut anyone else but i would sooner support my local team in League 1 knowing it was financially sound (if there is such a thing in league football nowadays) than top end Championship chasing the Holy Grail

Southampton seems to be the best exponent of a successful youth system in recent years but I'm not sure it will end well.

Imagine where they would be if they could have hung on to Shaw, Bale, Lallana, Surman, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain (apart from being 100m+ worse off).

I like to think that Swansea is the model that should be followed with 20% owned by a fan's trust.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345