+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Independence Referendum

re: The Independence Referendum

[quote="Alibi"]It's a YES from me. In fact I am actively campaigning for it, knocking on doors etc, and I was one of the signatories of the Business for Scotland letter in the press the other day.

A few things I have noticed when going round the doors. There are a lot of undecided voters, and none of them seem to be moving towards No. Much of the No vote is almost an inertial, default position that frequently crumbles when you get into conversation with people. Many people are looking for reassurance, and many of them have questions that can be answered - the mainstream media are very hostile to independence so if someone gets their info from the Record, it tends to be a bit one-sided, so some balance needs to be given. The Better Together lot appear to have very few activists while the Yes campaign is very grassroots with loads of people involved, from all across the political spectrum, SNP, Greens, LFI, LibDems, SSP etc. plus loads of people who are

I would add I have read the Wee Blue Book from cover to cover.

Daily Record is hardly a source of and truth wisdom is it? If you've read the wee blue book then what don't you accept in it?
    I've been away from the town a long time, but under the Union can anyone hand on heart say that it is thriving?

Is Dumfries so distanced from the rest of Scotland to be blind to the fact that the media (Border Telly, N.E. BBC news, the record etc) are universally Unionist and anti-Scottish in message?

Consider this: Whose going to run Westminster in 2016?: Tories? Ukip?, how about a coalition of both?

Even if Milliband miraculously won, why would Labour MPS vote through more powers to Scotland?

Try reading the English press. In fact try reading our fellow Borderers' web site Carlisle mad to get a flavour of average English opinion. It is not favourable to keeping the Barnet Formula.

For those not acquainted with it. It is the pocket money that Westminster gives us back from our taxes. Taxes which we have net contributed more in than out to the pot over the

[/quote]but this is potentially a once in a lifetime event that in a roundabout way could effect FOOTBALL.

Eg Many Scottish players ply their trade down south. If Scotland voted for independence and did not get into the EU in the short term then as I understand it non international Scottish players would have very limited rights to play in England. Could have massive ramifications.

I started of a NO voter, but I have come to conclusion that financially the UK is on death row anyway and this is a chance to escape. Now almost certainly voting YES.[/quote]

It could affect football in Scotland a lot more than that:

"Fresh debate over whether Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland can field international sides is expected to be ignited within world football's governing body if Scots vote against independence in next month's referendum.

Fifa insiders accept that questions will be asked about ?¨the home nations' future participation as independent countries if Scotland vote to

I am most reluctant to enter into this political debate but eventually I feel compelled to make some comment. Alibi has posted, " All BT have is some scare stories, most if not all of which have been rebutted over and over again, and that is a problem for them. They have no ammo left and now people are actually starting to laugh at them. - Darlingwith his plan B nonsense even after he has been given 3 plan Bs".

Let's look at some of these scare stories. 1) There will be no currency union. Who says so? All three leaders of the main political parties in the UK, the current Chancellor of the Exchequer, the shadow Chancellor of the Exchequor, the leader of the Welsh Assembly and, if opinion polls are to be believed, an overwhelming majority of the electorate in the rest of the United Kingdom ( rUK).
    Oh yes there will be! Who says so? Alex Salmond and the Yes campaigners.

2) Scotland will be an accession state and will have to apply as such for entry to the European Union. Who says so?

Cresswell
    1) There will be no currency union.

It's a possibility but the rUK would be shooting themselves in the foot if they stuck to their present position. A recent poll showed overwhelmingly English business would want a currency union in the event of a Yes vote. North Sea oil alone halves the UK trade deficit - that's not counting the rest of Scottish exports. What would happen to Sterling? How would rUK pay all the debt?

2) Scotland will be an accession state and will have to apply as such for entry to the European Union.

The new President of the European Commission "would not want Scotland to be kept out" of the EU, a newspaper has reported.

Speaking to the Scotland on Sunday, a "senior EU source" said an independent Scotland's application to join the EU would be treated as a "special case" as the country was already signed up to core requirements such as gender equality and workers' rights.

Why would we want to be signed up on the same terms? Our farmers get a rotten dea

I know I shouldn't have got involved. RobQos says that I am buying too much into what Better Together say and not looking at both sides. All I shall say about that charge is pot, kettle: and my final word - beware a politician who makes promises that are not in his gift to fulfil because you will be disappointed.

Lets look at some stories that Better Together are denying if we vote No:

1) The NHS being privatised in England won't affect Scotland because Scotlands NHS is devolved

Scotland's block grant is cut through Barnett Consequentials when England reduces it's spending on it's NHS. There are many politicians and political think tanks calling for the Barnett Formula to be scraped and Scotlands budhet to be brought into line with the English regions. This would reduce the Scottish budget by up £4 billion a year despite Scotland contributing more than it receives currently.

2) Equality and Social Justice are best challenged if we stay in UK

BBC
    "A further £25bn spending cuts - much of it from the welfare budget - will be needed after the next election, Chancellor George Osborne has warned.

He said more austerity lay ahead, as the job was "not even half done"."

Huffington Post
    "Ed Miliband will set out the "hard reality" of the choices facing Labour as he acknowledges the party will not

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell
    I know I shouldn't have got involved. RobQos says that I am buying too much into what Better Together say and not looking at both sides. All I shall say about that charge is pot, kettle: and my final word - beware a politician who makes promises that are not in his gift to fulfil because you will be disappointed.
    I'm really happy you got involved. It gave me an opportunity to show how the bluster of the No campaign is not to be trusted.

Incidentally, Westminster could clarify the situation on EU membership immediately. The EU have already stated that they would give an official position if the member state asked. The reason that the UK government don't want to ask is that many legal experts think that the rUK will have to reapply too.

It will be interesting during negotiations: given that the Act Of Union was only between Scotland and England if Scotland votes Yes will rUK and Scotland be new states or will Scotland allow r

Bearing in mind Scotland's cash surplus if it had been an independent state:

Government Pension Fund of Norway
    The Government Pension Fund – Global is a fund into which the surplus wealth produced by Norwegian petroleum income is deposited. The fund changed in January 2006 from its previous, The Petroleum Fund of Norway. The fund is commonly referred to as The Oil Fund. As of the valuation in June 2011, it was the largest pension fund in the world, although it is not actually a pension fund as it derives its financial backing from oil profits and not pension contributions. As of June 30, 2014 its total value is NOK 5.478 trillion[1] ($889.1 billion), holding one percent of global equity markets. With 1.78 percent of European stocks, it is said to be the largest stock owner in Europe

The purpose of the petroleum fund is to invest parts of the large surplus generated by the Norwegian petroleum sector, generated mainly from taxes of companies, but also payment for license to

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)