+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sacking Steve Davis is not the answer...

re: sacking Steve Davis is not the answer...

I agree with thnhouse, the managers recruitment of players has been pretty disastrous.He has spent big money, by Crewe standards, on two players and his loans, with one exception have been very poor.I am starting to wonder if it is the case that the board are reluctant to trust him with any funds that might be available.

I think the comments about loanees is off the mark. Yes we have made some mistakes (Park Bench and George Evans - latterly - spring to mind), but we have also had some real attributes.
    LDV, Hitchcock, Uche, Chuks, Inman - for example. I'm sure there are more who have given the Alex something extra. Just as I am sure that there have been a few failures.

To answer the thread title, in my opinion: NO.

So far, SD has always come across as a honest guy. Will we get to the point when he would consider falling on his sword?
    Under DG we got used to the lack of experienced players being brought in but I didn't think SD would be the same. We have can get the balance right between youth and experience but at the moment we are too weak on the experience front.

I also think SD comes over as an honest man, but my season ticket is bought with the aim of helping Crewe Alexandra to be successful by winning matches and so far we have failed miserably to win any of FIVE league matches.

I also wonder whether he has the confidence of the players and just how him and Bakes agree about anything to do with football.

We 'lost' the services of, arguably, our most steady back four men as Ellis went to Shrewsbury and have not made a serious signing to replace him. We had the worst defensive record last season so it stands to reason, and is up to the present, true that we are again blessed with the worst defence in the division.

Unless the board suddenly releases substantial money then surely the only course of action is to recruit a new management team as we have almost one tenth of the season gone already.

Listening to SD's post match interview yesterday , he seemed exhausted and bereft of ideas as to what the problems were, this is where we miss experienced players who may be able to offer fresh ideas !

I don't see sacking the manager as the answer.

This is a manager who has brought us great success in three years, and with what he is given staying in this league is an achievement.

All the board issues are not in his control, and although most people won't agree, if we finish 5th from bottom we have done well.

Ok, I agree with all of that.

But I have to ask about the daily stuff and why it isn't getting any better. The board do not do the daily team stuff and the coaching/tactics.

Dario had poor sides at times (google some of our Champ sides, laughable now and who we'd beat) but he always improved the individual and the 'job' they performed. I cannot defend SD by saying that is happening now. I also look at the success and the "up" of the first 18 and the down of the latter 14 (months), and I wonder if it is because there are no Dario players in the side now, and with that draw your own conclusions.

Dunno, he seems devoid of solutions, time for some changes, send all the loanees back(waste of time)only 4 players here are good enough for L1, Tootle, Grant, Inman, Garratt, poss Haber, and as for Atkinson, is it true a load of clubs were after him, really? Get rid of Molly, oliver and the rest, not good enough for L1, another 6 games without a win and its time for SD to leave, and IMO NB too, their time is nearly up I'm sorry to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Proggs
    Ok, I agree with all of that.

But I have to ask about the daily stuff and why it isn't getting any better. The board do not do the daily team stuff and the coaching/tactics.

Dario had poor sides at times (google some of our Champ sides, laughable now and who we'd beat) but he always improved the individual and the 'job' they performed. I cannot defend SD by saying that is happening now. I also look at the success and the "up" of the first 18 and the down of the latter 14 (months), and I wonder if it is because there are no Dario players in the side now, and with that draw your own conclusions.

Do you mean that Steve's not playing (enough) 'Dario players'? Or that we don't produce the same sort of players - Collins/Critchley/Morris players perhaps but that the 'Dario' influence on the coaching is diluted?

[quote="Proggs" of the first 18 and the down of the latter 14 (months), and I wonder if it is because there are no Dario players in the side now, and with that draw your own conclusions.[/quote]aren't all of the academy platers Dario players? Isn't that what we pay him a fortune for these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast