+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Motivation?

Motivation?

I'm just throwing this in for discussion purposes as some fans are asking why we played so well against Bolton and you will remember, against Preston last game of the season. Is it because the players don't need to be motivated for these 'big' matches but are unable to lift themselves against the likes of Fleetwood and Rochdale?

SD says he wished he could get Inman to play like that every week and the best he has played since he was on loan.

So why is that? Is this a managerial problem, selection or formation, tactics issue or just that players today are unable to be really motivated unless its for the big occasion? I guess we may find out next Saturday?

PS

I have not sent the letter to John Bowler yet as it had a mixed reception here and on reflection, may not be a good idea for a non season ticket holder like me to be the online or other spokesperson for the rest of the fans, particularly ST holders?

I was also waiting to see how we performed last night and based on that gam

re: Motivation?

Personally think it's the opposite - neither Preston nor (to a lesser extent) Bolton were as competitive as our opponents are in most regular season league games.

Inman's direct opponent last night was a 20 year old full back making his fourth senior appearance - so similar to the players he'd have encountered in the U21s v Brentford last week when he scored twice.

Inman played well - and proved when he was on loan that he's well up to L1 standard - so not having a go at him but all of them have to do it week in,week out against experienced L1 opposition - not easy because we have plenty in the squad with a similar profile to the Bolton full back, but that's the challenge...

If I'm sounding negative, I don't mean to - just trying to be realistic - last night was a big step forward, need to build on it.

Edit: I accept Inman is only 22 himself and still learning the game...

re: Motivation?

Motivation is an incredibly difficult skill to master. Some think that it is 'carrot', others 'stick'.
    A great motivator has to cajole and encourage; instil love and fear; make the subject an individual star and a team player; develop pride, belief and satisfaction with one's current 'lot'.
    At the same time, motivation has to be self-generated - and that is based on a combination of personal desire, peer pressure, and 'apple for the teacher' ism.

Steve Davis has many of the attributes of a good motivator, but then so do others. When you've got a squad of 25+ young guys, all with different personalities and many with differing 'drivers', you cannot be all things to all men.

Ask any business manager and he/she will probably say that a fair bit of success in motivation is down to luck. But then there is the ancient adage: 'It's strange, but the harder I practice and work, the luckier I become.' :-)