+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Inept at the Gills

Inept at the Gills

Rarely have I seen Alex side devoid of any ability. First half we were shocking. Gills are not a great side but we looked terrified Everytime the ball came into our box. Our 'attacking' play was humiliating. Lots of sideways and backwards passes on the halfway line. No one with any thrust or ability.

Second half was a slight improvement but even then it petered out. Davis did his best to change it by going to 3-5-2, but we just didn't have any cutting edge. Haber toiled manfully and won most of his headers but he didn't get the service. Although the back line were collectively shaky I thought that Ray was the pick of them and didn't disgrace himself in any way.

I don't blame Davis, he's trying his best with what we have, but a collection of inexperienced kids and loan players along with cast offs from elsewhere aren't go going to keep us up. There's no point sacking him as the new man would just face the same problems.

Were in a bad state and we don't have a Chuks or a Powell to

re: Inept at the Gills

..yeah it does look like sad times ...

I think the supporters not having any belief sums it up.

We've been in dire situations before but there's always been a glimmer of hope that Dario might turn it around again, that although we're playing badly on our day we're not a bad side and if we could just get a result confidence may return, or that a Powell, Aneke, Murphy, Lennon, Ashton etc... Has the quality to single handedly make it all ok.

None of that applies this season. I literally don't know where our first point is going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojofilter
    I think the supporters not having any belief sums it up.

We've been in dire situations before but there's always been a glimmer of hope that Dario might turn it around again, that although we're playing badly on our day we're not a bad side and if we could just get a result confidence may return, or that a Powell, Aneke, Murphy, Lennon, Ashton etc... Has the quality to single handedly make it all ok.

None of that applies this season. I literally don't know where our first point is going to come from.
    I wasn't at Gillingham, but I think you are wrong. We DO think this can be turned around; I think that one victory will inject confidence in the squad; I think that we have the potential stars to pull things around - Water, Colclough, Haber, and, in his day, Inman.

These are tough, pretty awful times, but we know the talent is there. We just haven't seen it in a league match on the pitch.

COYRs

Spent upwards of £100 in the last week on two away games where we've had 3/4 shots on target combined, all being weak and powerless efforts.

Can't grab a game by the scruff of the neck, lightweight midfield, collective lack of defending (centre halves weren't bad yesterday mind) and a lack of testing the keeper is a recipe for disaster.

With our current lot, no chance of turning this around. It's an utter shambles seeing Turton and Nolan pushed off the ball by players as young as they are like Bradley Dack.

Or maybe the players don't want to play for Davis? Eerily similar to three years ago...

I take no delight in thinking that TNOs final sentence may have hit the nail on the head.