+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1980 European Cup Final video

1980 European Cup Final video

While looking for the Reading match goals last week, I bumped into this on youtube.

Maybe with the 2 week break, some of you might enjoy watching it again.

I must say it brought a lot of memories, and of course a lot of differences now watching it as an adult than as a boy 34 years ago.

First impressions? Bloody hell how did we manage to hold on for 70 mins and still win?

A lot to do with Peter Shilton, whose error cost us in the League Cup Final (which I also watched again) and that 'useless, fat, 'fatherless child' (as described by our friends in Derby and across the river) - Kenny Burns.

Shilton with the saves, and Kenny, in scaring the living daylights of one Kevin Keegan.

Hamburg were the best side in Europe that year, they even crushed Real Madrid 5-0 in the semis, to deny them a 'home final' at the Bernabeu. They had a few very good West German players notably: Magath, Overroth, Manny Kalpz and of course, Keegan, the European Footballer of the Year.

We on the other han

re: 1980 European Cup Final video

OMG is that the Fulham manager?

LOL 5 21 big Ken

Quote Originally Posted by RedRyan71
    OMG is that the Fulham manager?
    The very same, and like Kenny Burns, he was a very good footballer.

In fact he's more John Robertson or Trevor Francis, because 3 years later in 1983, he scored the only goal of the game in the European Cup Final against the Magpies.

Errm sorry, I meant to say Juventus. They are both so similar that I was always confuse Notts County with the Italian team.

Love the end "and hamburg are again european champions"

[quote="RedRyan71" [/quote]

I think the commentator was Brian Moore. He was a close pal of Cloughie's too. Dedicated a full chapter to Clough in his memoirs. I don't think Ol' Big Head would have been too amused by that 'Freudian slip'