+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why don't they come out and say?

re: Why don't they come out and say?

Try the link below.

No that didn't work either! - view external link

Interesting stuff, Mike.

From what I remember as a quondam trainspotter, there used to be a goods freight tunnel that ran precious close to the Railway End, and which allowed trains to go straight on through.

If I'm not wrong, it used to be known as the Muck 'Ole.

Rather ironic, considering what's being served up this season as the Alex attack that end.

On the other hand, I'm pleased that there was no cave-in when I and around five thousand fans craned forward on the railway sleepers and cinders that shored up the terracing when Bert Llewellyn's shot hit the post and denied us a 3-2 victory over Spurs in 1960.

It was indeed know as the "muck ole". Spent many a happy hour there as a lad watching train go through that tunnel. Before I got into watching the Alex of course

Just before the railways were privatised our rail business ie Rail Express Systems owned the Maintenance Depot down the so called horse landing and also a big part of Basford sidings as well and one of my jobs was to agree contracts for the maintenance of the track in that area and so spent some time walking with the P.Way Guys. It is a vast area that you can only see from the other side and so unless the Railway Station itself is expanded or modified I can't see any need to affect the Alex Ground and Car Park. That's probably why its not been mentioned anywhere by the council and so Norm's hope of a killing one day will not be in his lifetime. They could put a new stadium on Basford its that big. Maybe next to the new hub?

Basford sidings is indeed massive,as a guard in the 70s,I use to walk down there to pick up,shunt my trains,and look for coal in the dark,to light my fire in the guard`s van.
    Use to watch the Alex at the railway end embankment ,whilst on duty,just told the fat controller where we were and he would send for us if needed.
    As far as I know the through line still exsists,behind the Alex.

[quote="VindePays2009"]Why can't poor Mr Hassall be left alone?

Information available in the public domain indicates that he's a respectable 71-year-old businessman, living at 'Cedarlea', 16 Barracks Lane, Ravensmooor, Nantwich CW5 8PR, who is trying to earn an honest crust.

He has holdings in the three Crewe Alex companies, but other commitments have decreed that he stand down from closer involvement with the club because he finds it difficult to attend matches.

Other than, although Bargain Brands and Chilli Palmer have had to be dissolved, he still has interests in Commercial Enterprises, European Brand Trading, Milino Design, Norman Hassall Ltd. and Station Park (Crewe) Ltd.

Now, what's wrong with that?

The only one of these innocuous-looking companies that is of the slightest interest is the last-named Station Park (Crewe). Could this have to do with the proposed rail hub? Because if/when it comes to pass, maybe there's a killing to be made by some

Mike's link might work now ...

No - the problem is Mad automatically supplies http, but this is an https link, and you can't delete mad's prefix when posting or editing, so you get both. Should work though if cut and pasted omitting the initial http. - view external link

[quote="itwasin" running GET ON IT.[/quote]

I hope for your sake you didn't!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12