+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: O/T Muslims against Peppa Pig...WTF next?

re: O/T Muslims against Peppa Pig...WTF next?

Exactly, teachers in some schools were told to start calling blackboards chalkboards, it was in the press and I know for definite one school in South Yorkshire that did this as I knew a teacher there.

The "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" thing is true as well as that's what they sang at my niece's school and that was only a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_D
    And why are golliwogs racist? Because they are black?
    Well, not directly because they are black. You have to look at the historical context. They were created as a dehumanised racist caricature containing 'primitive' stereotypes of black people around the time segregation laws were getting passed in the US. Originally described by the author as "a horrid sight, the blackest gnome", other authors such as Enid Blyton had them often go around biting people. They even led to the creating of a new racist insult 'wogs'. So they yes they have a rather unpleasant history and its not difficult to see, with half a brain, why giving such an item to children could be seen as offensive. Of course there are numpties who pride themselves on such ignorance.

[quote="Ellis_D"]Why should we not have black dolls? How racist is it to say, it's okay to have loads of white dolls, but we're not having any black ones?! THAT is

Quote Originally Posted by John2

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis_D
    Why should we not have black dolls? How racist is it to say, it's okay to have loads of white dolls, but we're not having any black ones?! THAT is racist.

I agree 100%, its actually a big problem that black toys are massively under represented. When I have children I plan for them to have a diverse collection of toys.

Disney have gone a long way to starting to help reverse the trend. It started off with Aladdin and Jasmine, Arabs.

And now we have Tiana, who is a black Disney princess, there is also Pocohontas, who is mixed race (I think) and Mulan, who is oriental.

My children have all these Disney princesses, as well as the white ones.

They even have a GINGER doll (Merida) if you can believe such a thing.

There is also a black Barbie doll that they have.

So doll-wise, society is progressing.

Children don't see colour, it is only when they hear adults talking about it

Quote Originally Posted by Redshank
    On a serious note. A young person living in the childrens home where I work came from a Muslim family. He had no concept of any religion or a great deal else being perfectly honest. He was only ever given Halal meat due to his religion.

His keyworker bought him a Peppa Pig duvet cover set. Once his Mum saw this she was outraged and demanded it never be put on her sons bed again.

I remember doing the staff members supervision, feeling totally bogus telling her to be more mindful of religious beliefs and culture. I mean what a fekin joke, but admittedly I towed the company line.

100% true story.
    I can't see why this is a joke - respecting an individual's religion, belief, superstition doesn't do any harm..[/quote]

Yes it does. Irrational belief and superstition don't deserve respect. If there was more questioning of irrational belief & su

Not being Sarky at all here Ellis that last post is the best post you have put on here recently about race etc..not so sure about the last paragraph but more of the same please...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345