+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3 points off the top ...

3 points off the top ...

...after a so - so start (inc 2 away defeats) we are looking okay so far.
    A good win today, expected, like we expected nowt at Wolves. But a good win all the same. Marshall was an excellent signing and we really missed him at the end of the season, he will be a big player for us now. And Rhodes is now scoring every week again. More to come from us, a lot more.

So the lads who went...what was it like?

re: 3 points off the top ...

Good win and must needed 3 points

To be honest more of the same we ve seen this season ..

Wigan should have been out of sight at HT but as always Rovers DO score at home and always look good for a win ..just ...

Good comeback after being a goal down ..credit due ..

Marshall (obviously ) Olsson ..Evans and Rhodes (who put himself about today) the stand out players ..Robbo beaten from distance on the ground again although do need to see again ont box ..

I dont think our home form will be a worry ..we seem to be able outscore teams ..the worry is the lack of clean sheets and our tactics away from home ..always look liable to concede ..great for the neutral ..but not for me !!

3pts ..cant be too critical ..decent crowd too 15900..bring on Derby !

Quote Originally Posted by champs95

Only my view here Champs: 1st half we were poor, Wigan bossed it. A few of our lads weren't on their game, Gestede in paticular, and he was getting frustraited. Wigan totally failed to capitalise on it, including skying a pen.

2nd half: much more balanced game, then Wigan got a scabby goal from some very poor defending, and that was game on. Rovers totally upped it and Wigan seemed to drop a gear. Marshalls 2nd goal was excellent, (definate one for the telly). Varney came on for Gestede, he took a while, but after 10 - 15 mins he didn't really do much wrong. Wigan also missed a sitter.

Could say a lot more, but in a rush. All in all, a so so Rovers performance with 3 ***** points to show for it. I'm not sure if we won it or Wigan threw any chance of a result away? But I'm happy

Fine lines and all that. The mood could have been a lot different on here tonight.

First half was awful and Rovers looked a poor side short on belief. Wigan miss a sitter just before half time and penalty just after. If they had scored the penalty then I believe they would have gone on to win as their tails were up and all over us.

Despite scoring a flukey goal the penalty finally galvanised a response from the team.

We could have had five in the second half but equally it could have been all so different with many doubting Bowyers ability in the job as per the half time situation.

Let's hope this was a lucky break. The quick equaliser gave us back the momentum. Well done to Ben Marshall who appears to be finding the form that made him look so good last season before he got injured.

Evans was half a yard too slow all afternoon and where has Conway disappeared to.

A welcome three points but a far from convincing 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie5o
    Robbo beaten from distance on the ground again although do need to see again ont box ..
    haha, you must have clicked your reply just as I started on mine Howie.

There was nothing Robbo could do on that one. His view was completely obstructed. Hanley just let it roll past him. When the shot came in, it shouldn't have gone anywhere near the goal line. Robbo didn't even see it until it was about 6 yards from the bottom corner. Defenders should have done better or got out of his way so he could see what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by DanRrr

Only my view here Champs: 1st half we were poor, Wigan bossed it. A few of our lads weren't on their game, Gestede in paticular, and he was getting frustraited. Wigan totally failed to capitalise on it, including skying a pen.

2nd half: much more balanced game, then Wigan got a scabby goal from some very poor defending, and that was game on. Rovers totally upped it and Wigan seemed to drop a gear. Marshalls 2nd goal was excellent, (definate one for the telly). Varney came on for Gestede, he took a while, but after 10 - 15 mins he didn't really do much wrong. Wigan also missed a sitter.

Could say a lot more, but in a rush. All in all, a so so Rovers performance with 3 ***** points to show for it. I'm not sure if we won it or Wigan threw any chance of a result away? But I'm happy[/quote]

Cheers Dan, and Howie.
    Pretty much what I'd hear tbh. 1st

Quote Originally Posted by champs95
    get this Steele in from the start? I think it's about time Robdo got dropped. It didn't cost us today, next week it may.
    You both really need to watch it tonight and make your minds up on that one. 2 defenders who were obsructing his view and both let the ball roll through their legs. Hanley was the 2nd, can't remember who the 1st was. I was right behind him and could see they didn't give him a chance and phucked up royally themselves

I feel that Wigan 'bossing' the first half is an exaggeration. The half seemed to switch around in periods of five to ten minutes with one team having the upper hand. But until their penalty in about the 40th minute, they really didn't get a clear sight on goal, whereas we had had several better chances despite probably not having the bulk of possession or final third play. We'd put numerous good crosses in, and come closer to scoring.

After the penalty Wigan enjoyed a hot spell where we just looked pathetic at the back and crumbled against every attack. They came close twice in that period. They probably had the better of the first half, but I wouldn't describe it as them bossing us at all. We could have easily gone in at the break a couple of goals up ourselves, as could they.

Second half...that's where I'd say bossed, and in the context of us bossing them.

Deserved win.

As to 'where has Conway gone'...I think he's up to three assists now, which, unless one of the others who were

Quote Originally Posted by blue_bruce
    I feel that Wigan 'bossing' the first half is an exaggeration.
    Maybe. Probably more accurate say, that Wigan more of the better play in the 1st half and looked more threatening in attack. But failed failed to really create any chances. On the rare occassion that they did, it came to nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)