+ Visit Bolton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some thoughts on a new manager

Some thoughts on a new manager

I know a lot of fans won't agree with me but i don't want Jimmy Philips as manager, yes he's Bolton through and through but he has no experience of being a permanent manager. We have just tried two relatively inexperienced managers and it's been a disaster. If Jimmy wants to be a manager let him go and learn his trade elsewhere.
    As for Keith Hill and Gary Flitcroft I think that would be a bad move I'n not decrying their ability but do you think the current crop of Bolton players would immediately respect them. Think about it, we have players who have played in the prem and the championship most if not all of their careers, some of them at big clubs. They are going to be saying Keith who?
    We need an experienced man at the helm in my opinion, not another George Mulhall or Stan Anderson or Phil Neal or Owen Coyle or Dougie Freedman.
    I'll get my tin hat on.

re: Some thoughts on a new manager

Yeah, I agree Chip. This isn't time to appoint a rookie manager, Jimmy would be fine on a short term basis, but we are in a perilous position at this moment in time and if we don't appoint the right manager we are in serious danger of being relegated, which could prove catastrophic for us, as I wouldn't be surprised if any of our players have clauses in their contracts which would mean they would take a cut in salary if we went down.

We have to be realistic with our prefered choice of manager too. Most of us would love a Tony Pulis (not Dan) but I think we wouldn't go far wrong appointing somebody like a Tony Mowbray, he's a very experienced manager and he did very good jobs at WBA & Boro, his win ratio percentage is around 40% at both of these clubs and he likes to play decent football too. I am not really in favour of appointing an ex Wanderer, for obvious reasons (Coyle) and I see Phil Brown is now the bookies favourite, he's just not done it for me, he did well getting Hull pr

I agree. I'd prefer someone with some sort of track record at this point in time, maybe bringing in Jimmy Phillips as an assistant.

Not mad keen on Brown to be honest but we don't have many options do we?

I really hope we don't go poaching Phil Brown, we've done that twice and I hope Gartside has learned his lesson. Besides there are plenty of unemployed managers who would fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by gallopingchip
    I know a lot of fans won't agree with me but i don't want Jimmy Philips as manager, yes he's Bolton through and through but he has no experience of being a permanent manager. We have just tried two relatively inexperienced managers and it's been a disaster. If Jimmy wants to be a manager let him go and learn his trade elsewhere.
    As for Keith Hill and Gary Flitcroft I think that would be a bad move I'n not decrying their ability but do you think the current crop of Bolton players would immediately respect them. Think about it, we have players who have played in the prem and the championship most if not all of their careers, some of them at big clubs. They are going to be saying Keith who?
    We need an experienced man at the helm in my opinion, not another George Mulhall or Stan Anderson or Phil Neal or Owen Coyle or Dougie Freedman.
    I'll get my tin hat on.
    Totaly agree with everything with this post chip but we have to be reali

The last 3 appointments we have got managers who were at other clubs, Megson from Leicester, Coyle from East Lancashire mutant spastics and Freedman from Crystal Palace, by the way all three clubs are now in the premiership and did better by changing managers, I would like Billy Davies or Malkie Mackay,just someone we don't have to poach, Gartside will probably get Dave Lee Travis

Malkay Mackay would be a real coup for us if we managed to bring him in. I'd be amazed but delighted if he did come though. I spotted this in an article in the BEN this morning.

Further afield, a source close to ex-Cardiff City boss Malky Mackay has said he would be interested in taking on the job, while former Leeds United and Reading chief Brian McDermott and Tony Mowbray, whose last job was at Middlesbrough, were also in the frame last night.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_hooray
    The last 3 appointments we have got managers who were at other clubs, Megson from Leicester, Coyle from East Lancashire mutant spastics and Freedman from Crystal Palace, by the way all three clubs are now in the premiership and did better by changing managers, I would like Billy Davies or Malkie Mackay,just someone we don't have to poach, Gartside will probably get Dave Lee Travis
    Not critiscising you here lord but dave lee travis has been accused of messing with girls,now seeing as we have a dressing room full of them,i cant see garty risking it.But knowing garty like we all do,the hairy cornflake is probably among the front runners.

I tweeted Mark Halsey this morning about Malky, as Halsey championed Malky for the BWFC job and I asked him if he thought he would come?

Halsey tweeted me this:-
    User Actions
    Following

Mark Halsey
    [!]8207;@RefereeHalsey
    @garywanderer70 @be assured Malkey will come If given the opportunity

I very much doubt malky will be given the opportunity though gary with his recent baggage but he would be a good choice though but you know garty he does like his appointments on the inexperienced & cheap side so malky nah just cant see it somehow

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)