+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Delusional

re: Delusional

Quote Originally Posted by NEVTHEDEV
    We need investment into the first team ...

I think you'll find I said that, Nev!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    We need investment into the first team ...

I think you'll find I said that, Nev! [/quote]
    Bothered,am I bothered,

I'm with mike and nev on this 100%.
    How can a club with average gates of 3500-4000 afford to keep paying near enough a million pounds on an academy with no guarantee success.
    The 1st team makes a football club and a winning team enables players to shine hense bigger transfer fees. Would Powell make us 5million playing in this team I think not. There needs to be equal investment in the academy and 1st team and im with mike downgrade the academy for the best interests of our small club.
    Just 1 other point im 1 of 6 family members who have s/t who all agree we wont be renewing next season under the current management team. Would all the davis followers agree we under him the past 2 seasons have played the crewe way? Hoof ball more suited to vale

I accept that if Crewe don’t produce players to sell, then the current ‘model’ is unsustainable; of course it’s a risky path, but money has been thrown at it, and that strategy has yet to fail. As Dario has always said – to varying degrees of both exasperation and wilful misunderstanding – ‘we go where our players take us’. He has also said that were he starting again here, now, he wouldn’t choose the same path, because the landscape has changed. However, they are on that path, with all its fine facilities, and handed-down coaching expertise, so why be deflected now? They must believe that there are plenty of first team players coming through, and future sales ahead. They have never said that the club wouldn’t/couldn’t exist without the Academy in its present form; only that it would be extremely difficult to maintain the current set-up were the club to lose its league status.

But, in MikeSB's alternative vision we have: a few cast-offs from Championship or Premiership clubs, who are

A very measured post, bigroof!
    Agree with you.

My worry over MikeSB's suggestion is that we would lose our identity. We would just become another Walsall, Oldham, Rochdale, Yeovil, S****horpe and Colchester - and I don't want that!
    Whilst I started supporting the Alex long before DG, it's the reputation that he created that makes me love this club the most!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    My worry over MikeSB's suggestion is that we would lose our identity. We would just become another Walsall, Oldham, Rochdale, Yeovil, S****horpe and Colchester - and I don't want that!
    Whilst I started supporting the Alex long before DG, it's the reputation that he created that makes me love this club the most!
    I feel pretty much the same, and also began watching them regularly, pre-Dario. I'm not Crewe/Cheshire born, and have supported other teams before - which of course, some people can't understand! It does offer a different perspective though.

Being classifed as a Category 2 club I believe requires a club to spend at least around £1,000,000 a year on an Academy (?) of which the Football League reimburses one third (?). If this is the case then the unfunded balance is in excess of £700,000 and has to be met by the club. Does anyone know the definitive financial working of EEEP? Football clubs are big business and involve a large number of paid employees. I see from the 2010 accounts - the latest I have- that the average number of persons employed during 2009/10 by Crewe Alexandra Football club were Management, Players and Coaches 74, Admin 26, Match Day Staff 151. Total 251. I doubt if todays figures would show any great difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Fidler
    Being classifed as a Category 2 club I believe requires a club to spend at least around £1,000,000 a year on an Academy (?) of which the Football League reimburses one third (?). If this is the case then the unfunded balance is in excess of £700,000 and has to be met by the club. Does anyone know the definitive financial working of EEEP? Football clubs are big business and involve a large number of paid employees. I see from the 2010 accounts - the latest I have- that the average number of persons employed during 2009/10 by Crewe Alexandra Football club were Management, Players and Coaches 74, Admin 26, Match Day Staff 151. Total 251. I doubt if todays figures would show any great difference.
    If that number of management, players and coaches are 74, and all the rest are valid then no wonder we can't get decent players on our wages.

Has someone forgot why we are in business at all? Just to remind them. Its about 11 players on a Satu

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234