+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Set piece goals

Set piece goals

I read a stat that says ALL our Premier League goals (19) have come from open play.

This time last season, if I remember correctly, most of our goals came from set pieces.

Bit of a turn around.

re: Set piece goals

I was thinking similar over the weekend.

Have we still had a similar number of chances to score from set plays or have we just not been getting them?

Not sure about the number of chances, but it feels like more are being created this term.

Under Pochettino, we constantly seemed to want to walk the ball into the net.

Not the case with the current squad with all outfield players happy to have a pop whenever an opportunity presents itself.

Infinitely preferable to last season, it has to be said.

Any free kick up to about 30 yards had Rickie's on it, maybe that has something to do with it?

Changing topic a bit, the one thing i noticed on Saturday was that the central midfielders are pushing further forward to support attacks more. Last season they seemed anchored to the centre circle, which might be why we struggled to break teams down when they came to defend.
    It's no coincidence that Morgan has 3 goals, as does Jack and Vic has 2, whilst we don't have as much possession we have more options and variety.
    After our great start last season the better managers worked us out, whilst i'm not saying that they wont do the same this season, we seem to have a variety of ways of playing as opposed to the pretty rigid game plan under MP which possibly links in with the goals from open play

Changing the topic again, I had some bloke pull out on me tonight and made me spill my costa all over my balls.

I gave him some **** - as you'd expect, but he had the gall to front up and give it the large in my face... Safe to say that I smacked the ****.

Quote Originally Posted by justjustin
    Changing the topic again, I had some bloke pull out on me tonight and made me spill my costa all over my balls.

I gave him some **** - as you'd expect, but he had the gall to front up and give it the large in my face... Safe to say that I smacked the ****.

Justin, what is a Costa? How big are your balls? and why did you smack the stars after giving them to him? The reason I want to know the size of your balls is so I can then work out how large this Costa thing is which was all over them? Seems like a strange mating ritual to me! Are you from Stoke? You also say he pulled out on you. Was he Catholic? If so giving it to you "Large in the face" would probably not be unusual?

Oz refer to Papa about 'this Costa thing', he's an expert on coffee-to-go type establishments it would seem

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndown
    Oz refer to Papa about 'this Costa thing', he's an expert on coffee-to-go type establishments it would seem
    It does seem that my knowledge of which motorway services host their outlets is rather better than yours, even those in your own back-yard.

I can assure you that I have spilt nothing on anyone, recently, so I'm not the Costa he is referring to.