+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ground

New ground

With the announcement of HS2 hub coming to crewe and the council plan to develope the area around the station including the Alexandra stadium will this be an opportunity to see the Alex attract some big investment with a new ground at basford and money in the pot for players

re: New ground

No!
    And I'll be pushing up daisies by the time the first speedy choo-choo enters Cheshire. :-D

The answer I believe is No. Last time I had a look at the plans for the HS2 on line the Alex ground was staying where it was. I think Basford will be used for either the new HS2 station or at least something to do with the HS2 (if it doesn't go to Stoke!)

Looking at the sad state (planning blight) of Crewe around Gresty Road it's as if the Council is awaiting the final decision on HS2. When the HS2 plans were first published a large maintenance depot was being proposed in the Basford area. A new entrance to a station serving both the current lines and the proposed subterranean HS2 in the area of the football stadium would make sense. A new football ground, perhaps in the Gresty area, would then be possible.
    In some respects I do not support HS2, preferring the investment to go on improvements to the existing network, re-opening some of the Beeching closures. I believe this would have a reduced impact upon our environment. However, I can see that HS2 would lead to the re-birth of Crewe town, guaranteeing work for more people.

It will happen and sooner than we think.
    there's no way a development this size will incorporate such a lucrative spot to open once a fortnight to so few supporters. - view external link

So Rail House is coming down too? Must agree with the sentiment about using a football ground once a fortnight for a few spectators, no way will this survive a proposed HS2 rail hub!

I don't support HS2 and I don't believe in the benefits, its been driven by politicians who will be among the few who could afford to use it with there free passes and expenses. While I oppose it, I know it cant be stopped, when the political elite back something then all opposition is swept away regardless of the cost and I don't mean just in monetary terms. If the football ground gets in the way then that will be swept away too. At present the ground doesn't interfere with the proposed route, unless Cheshire East Council along with other interested parties can persuade the government to change its mind and build the £200 million underground station at Crewe, which is highly unlikely then the football ground is safe, but its fair to say that Cheshire East council believe the Alexandra Stadium is in the way.

Whether the ground will be needed for HS2 or not it is in a valuable position.
    Imagine the amount of flats that could be built there for commuters all within easy reach for commuters.
    By the way who would benefit if the ground is sold?
    ie Who owns it?

I think we all know who that is!

just think how much people around nantwich rd rely on the Alex away fans business

if a ground was built at basford for e.g - you would just have a sterile ground with a burger king / chain pub near it

if the alex ground was used then it would kill the town as all the shops would re-locate

u would be better knocking rail house down and the railway end and putting another tear on pop side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast