+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Youth Games

re: Youth Games

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo
    3-0 victory after pens. Next up Abbey Hey or York at home on Nov 22.

Well done lads.

Do not know any details, but I hope somebody who was there can give a report on the match.
    A good night's entertainment. In the first half Crewe carved out several opportunities, but only scored one; Preston's keeper made a couple of excellent stops, and there was one cleared off the line. Second half was more Preston's; they forced a few corners and were having more of the play; they equalized and looked the more likely winners without actually creating anything clear-cut. Crewe had been sucked in to playing too many long balls, but counter-attacked well at times.

Crewe re-asserted their favoured way of playing in extra-time, but players on both sides were struggling with cramp. They took the lead and were now looking confident of victory; a 30-yard free-kick was spilled though, by the keeper, and Preston equalized. The second period was mai

Quote Originally Posted by Alexman
    I think season ticket holders should get to go to youth games for free. We have some of the best youth in the country and if we could add 500+ odd to the gates for youth matches, it would be great experience for the youngsters to play in 500-1k crowds. I'm sure the club would make more money through sales of drinks and pies also.

It would also encourage people to follow our youth for future Nick Powell's, Ashtons and Westwoods and to see how our youth are getting on.
    I really can't see that a £3 price deters anybody. If we get through to the later rounds I am sure Alex fans will be their in numbers.

Pretty much echo bigroof's comments, we played some superb football in the first half and the second period of extra time but Preston were more threatening in the other periods.

Both sets of players deserve complementing really, served up a terrific evening's entertainment, played in a good spirit and left absolutely nothing out there.

The effort the lads put in was summed up by Joe Kearns who slipped as he converted our third penalty and promptly collapsed with a bout of cramp, one of his team mates made his way to the penalty area to help him up and assist him back to the centre circle -the other lad was suffering almost as much as Kearns and they made quite a sight as they hobbled back together!

Very good value for £3 and I hope we continue to progress in the competition as much for the entertainment value as anything else.

It's worth remembering that George Cooper would be eligible for this team but looks unlikely to feature - I would n't want to pick out individuals either but

I was more thinking about last night cup games, the attendance was 385, if season ticket holders were free, I reckon that attendance could have been doubled. Although the earlier points made are reasonable also.

You do know that Preston do not have a Cat2 Academy like we do. How do they manage to coach their youth and kids without one?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB
    You do know that Preston do not have a Cat2 Academy like we do. How do they manage to coach their youth and kids without one?
    Preston were not even close to our level. Our players were far superior to theirs. The only reason they were in the game was due to sloppiness at times on our part, and also because their lads were really up for it. Our lads were tired at the end, but their lot could literally not move. Fair play to Preston for that, they really did give it everything.

If that was a normal u'18 game at Reaseheath, I am sure we would have run out comfortable winners.

Of the current 26 players listed on the PNE website in their first team squad, only 4 were signed up from their own academy. Of those 4. 2 have made no first team appearances this season.

We, on the other hand, have had 5 first team regulars developed in our own academy, plus at least 5 others who have played at least once.

To me that suggests that; they have an Academy, but they don't feel many of them are good enough for the first team and aren't, therefore, coached as well as those at higher level academies; the manager doesn't believe in youth; they have a bigger budget and can buy players in and pay them more; or any combination of those.

The gap between Academy and first team is massive. That is just a fact of life - physical development is largely dictated by years.
    Where the Academy has benefits for the lads in it, is in the discipline and training. They learn skills and practice them so that when they get the physical strength to use them they are successful.

Time and time again I read and hear: 'You can see they've been trained well, they have the skills to win'. And that is always about our graduates who have moved on.

I am immensely proud that we have developed a philosophy that the highest possible level of football education is the right way forward. For me it is a central reason why I have stayed a fan, despite never living in Cheshire all year round since 1958, a year after I first went to a game at Gresty Road. Dario Gradi made this club great, not just a bunch of re-application candidates, and I even supported them then. :-D

mike give it a rest ffs read my lips, the academy makes us money end of argument and if youre not interested in watching any of our kids youre the one who is missing out, best £3 i've spent in a long time last night

Youth Games

Mike, everyone on this board knows your feeling's, from one who thinks some of what you say has merit,can you not change the record.

Populating every thread with the same old speal, is about as welcome as a UKIP members views on the Notting Hill Carnival !

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast