+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to expand SMS

re: Time to expand SMS

Just a thought, but could the unsold seats, be singles?
    Some people, especially if taking a young'un would possibly reject single seats and not go, rather than sit alone?

The regulars at the top of the table are there because they compete for the best players and pay the highest salaries. To make that possible they have to continue to attract large crowds that pay high ticket prices.
    Saints are currently riding high with a great team, and I suspect the big spenders will be sniffing around in January. Players may or may not leave but Saints cannot expect to always find high quality replacements.
    To maintain Premiership status long term I think it essential that Saints increase income from ticket sales and this means upgrading the grounds capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdder
    To maintain Premiership status long term I think it essential that Saints increase income from ticket sales and this means upgrading the grounds capacity.
    I appreciate that 'every little helps' (even more so with the spend-what-you-earn FFP regulations taking effect), but matchday revenues are being increasingly eclipsed by TV & prize money - £100m vs what, £20m tops ? I'm not saying that ticket income is not important (clearly it is), but the rewards offered just for being in the Premier League put an extra million of matchday revenue into some perspective.

IMHO, maintaining the conveyor belt of top quality graduates from the Academy is of significantly more economic importance to Saints than flogging a few hundred extra tickets a handful of times a season.

Agree completely with that Papa. The academy development is the most important for all the reason you said but I do find some of the reasons not to expand interesting. Wait until we sell out every game? Wait until demand regularly outstrips supply? I can't imagine business plans that say wait until the store runs of stock every week before we increase our order! Or business is on a real upward curve lets sit on our hands and do nothing to keep it growing.

Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer
    Or business is on a real upward curve lets sit on our hands and do nothing to keep it growing.
    Growing ? According to the club itself, season ticket sales are reducing, not increasing.

The attendance figures speak for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLazarou
    Or business is on a real upward curve lets sit on our hands and do nothing to keep it growing.
    Growing ? According to the club itself, season ticket sales are reducing, not increasing.

The attendance figures speak for themselves.[/quote]

The Club sold a thousand half season tickets last week so that would indicate it's still growing. I'll happily bet you that our average home gate this season will be bigger than last season's too.

Some indication of the potential that's out there is the fact that the Club's official site now has nearly 300,000 followers on Twitter. Only ten football clubs in Britain have more. - view external link

Quote Originally Posted by OhWell
    The Club sold a thousand half season tickets last week so that would indicate it's still growing.
    Growing relative to what ? If you believe figures being bandied by the club itself, season ticket sales this year were significantly lower than last year.

I'm not against expansion of the stadium if the figures stack up - to date though, I've seen nothing that suggests they do.

Blind optimism, groundless 'what ifs' and rosier than rosy tinted views don't in themselves justify a £30m-£40m investment.

Some indication of the potential that's out there is the fact that the Club's official site now has nearly 300,000 followers on Twitter.
    Twitter followers as justification for expansion ? You are kidding, right ?

The Club sold a thousand half season tickets last week so that would indicate it's still growing. I'll happily bet you that our average home gate this season will be bigger than last season's too.

[/quote]

Time will tell but as the 14k at The Dell shows, you can't base it just on gates anyway. Even so I reckon that has a chance. If my maths is right I make our average for the 5 games as 29,738 and, as certain posters are keen to point out - we haven't played anyone yet.

Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer

[/quote]

Time will tell but as the 14k at The Dell shows, you can't base it just on gates anyway. Even so I reckon that has a chance. If my maths is right I make our average for the 5 games as 29,738 and, as certain posters are keen to point out - we haven't played anyone yet. [/quote]

Well the first one of those is in. Live on TV on a Sunday Lunchtime a

What is your capacity and what was the attendance v Man City?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast