+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to expand SMS

Time to expand SMS

Well it's been the subject of a few threads so I thought it was worth one of it's own. Although I make no apologies for any cut and paste from my earlier posts.

I say increase now. Around 4k - 5k. Ideally a 2nd tier on the Kingsland stand.

re: Time to expand SMS

Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer
    Well it's been the subject of a few threads so I thought it was worth one of it's own. Although I make no apologies for any cut and paste from my earlier posts.

I say increase now. Around 4k - 5k. Ideally a 2nd tier on the Kingsland stand.
    Now, is definitely the right time to start the project as it will take a few years to complete. A 6,000 second tier on the Kingsland would be ideal, and the steep, high side it would produce would massively improve the atmosphere in the stadium.

I agree we need to look forward to an extended fan base and cater for them, European football is a distinct possibility with the set up of the Club and the players we have in our squad, we are no longer a small Club and are growing in stature and people are starting to take notice so lets get rid of this little ole Southampton label once an for all plus of course we have to consider the fans from places like Fareham who have converted back to Southamptons fan base from their former heroes at Nottarf Krap !

Forget the economic and level of support factors. An extra tier on the Kingsland would mean not having to take sunglasses every time I stand in the Itchen North.

Based on a sellout against Leicester?

No. Based on:

Our average attendance over the last 2 seasons is 30,211 and 30,973 meaning our average is around 95% of capacity.

That is directly comparable to The Dell in the Mid '90's
    1996 14.820
    1995 14.685
    1994 14.751
    1993 15.382
    1992 14.070
    Its about ensuring that all those who want to go but can't, for whatever reason, buy a season ticket can go.

The cost is minimal compared to long term value. It equals about one third of one year's TV money or about the same as a player costing around £15m on a 4 year deal at £40k a week. (and should last a lot longer)

If we were selling out every game I would agree with you, but even those figures from the last two seasons show we are some way short of that. If I recall last season I think the last 6 or 7 games sold out, before that there were numerous empty seats at most games.

The figures at The Dell are largely irrelevant imo. I think many fans had got into the mindset that it was so hard to get tickets that they rarely even tried, and got out of the habit of going. I'm pretty sure there was a large waiting list for season tickets, even as a member back then it was impossible to get one. It was pretty obvious our fanbase was significantly larger than 15,000. Atm, for most games at SMS if you want a ticket you will get one.

I'm sure for a small number of games per season we could get crowds of say 36k+, but the cost and effort just isn't worth it for such minimal returns at this moment in time.

Our average attendance over the last 2 seasons is 30,211 and 30,973 meaning our average is around 95% of capacity.
    No it isn't.

Our official capacity is 32,589. Using your own figures -

2012/2013: 30,973 = 95.0% of capacity;
    2013/2014: 30,211 = 92.7% of capacity;
    2014/2015: 29,818 = 91.5% of capacity;

Admittedly, we've not entertained 'the elite' so far this season so the 2014/15 figures may well increase. But the figures don't lie - we are not selling out.

That is directly comparable to The Dell in the Mid '90's
    Not getting the relevance of attendance figures from >20 years ago.

Its about ensuring that all those who want to go but can't, for whatever reason, buy a season ticket can go.
    That may be your opinion, but do you think it is one that is shared by the club ?

When all is said and done, the club has r

Quote Originally Posted by saintwayne
    Atm, for most games at SMS if you want a ticket you will get one.
    I'm a STH but wanted another ticket for yesterday's Leicester game. Went to the ticket office on Friday and was told that there were still seats available and that I could have my pick of the stands.

These may well have been tickets that had been returned, but it does confirm your point - even for games that are advertised as 'sellouts'..

Until every home game is a sellout for a whole season and there is a long waiting list for season tickets, it's just not worthwhile.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast