+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ched and Sheffield United.

re: Ched and Sheffield United.

I think the two deserve each other. We can't stop him from returning to football, I just hope that they sign him to a big contract and he is **** poor being 2 years older. Then the girl he was convicted of rapeing sues the ar$e off him. I hope he can handle the barracking the away supporters will continually throw at him. As for the club, away fans ought to boycott games at Bramall Lane and hit them in the pocket.

I remember commenting on this a few months ago and find myself in the unusual (for me!) position of agreeing with Mike!

Like Mike, that is not to say he has not been found guilty of a horrible crime (like King, Hughes, McCormick and others down he years) but that he has served the sentence deemed appropriate for that crime and must now get on with his life.

It would have been better had he shown some remorse, for sure, but if he genuinely believes that he was not guilty and continues to fight that through the legal process then it would be difficult to do so. Where he could have done himself some favours is if he had chosen to condemn the naming of the unfortunate woman that was raped. I don't recall those that did that being prosecuted either.

There have been plenty of high profile examples of convicted criminals returning to high profile careers (Jeffrey Archer still retains a title despite being convicted liar and perjurer for instance) and the three footballers mentioned abov

The people whod her were convicted and heavily fined about 600 each I believe and rightly so.But the damage had been done and couldnt be put right.

For anyone wanting an independent summary of the case from crimeline, I've attached a link.

If it doesn't work, the link is:

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans - view external link

The bit that gets me, (and this can be leveled at several cases in several fields - not just this one!), is "he has done his time" - has he? - really?
    He was convicted to serve 5 years - he has been released after only half that sentence!

I'm one of those that thinks life means life, a term means a term.

I know people get let out early for good behaviour, on occasions for showing remorse and that they are a reformed character - but if you don't want the time, don't do the crime!

In Evans' case, I'm intrigued to know why he was released early, especially as he has shown no remorse ...?!
    Maybe he's right, maybe the dirty was done on him and he was convicted when innocent but he wouldn't be the first to suffer that fate. He should suffer the consequences, show some compassion - and THEN fight to clear his if that's what he wishes to do.

The criminal justice system is not perfect but you have to run with it as it is - otherwise we'd have anarchy!

Quote Originally Posted by crewenil
    The people whod her were convicted and heavily fined about 600 each I believe and rightly so.But the damage had been done and couldnt be put right.
    Thanks, crewenil, I wasn't aware of that. Personally that punishment seems far too lenient when compared with the sentences handed down to some of those that just made of with a pair of trainers after the Manchester riots, but it is what it is, I suppose. . . a fine for forcing a woman to change her and move away from her home just doesn't seem enough.

I'm with you Somerset in believing term should be term. Interesting that other sporting authorities wouldn't allow him back until the whole 5 years had been completed.
    To those who say if he doesn't return to football then he will be a drain on society - get real. I'm sure he is intelligent enough to become something else (plumber, electrician, lorry driver, etc) I'd never be allowed back into my profession if I was convicted of certain things.

Another take on this sad tale written by a woman.

Also look at the video clip those of you that think he lacks remorse.

What would you all say if the court of appeal rules the verdict was unsafe?

Are all rapes and rapists the same and should be all treated the same? This writer clearly thinks not.

As usual there are different aspects to consider. - view external link

Finding people whose views are disparate is a fairly easy way of bolstering your own opinion. What would matter, as an opinion, is a direct statement of remorse and regret to the woman involved.
    Being sorry it happened is not an apology or showing what I consider to be remorse for the crime.
    Money has enabled this 'review' to be fast-tracked: not the victim's money. If it succeeds then the rules on rape will be changed forever and, in my opinion, treatment of victims will go back to the stone age.
    Evans had intercourse with this woman; she was drunk and incapable. If the 'review' overturns the jury's rape verdict there will be hell to play.

Right now Evans is a convicted rapist who has served half his sentence and is obviously out of prison on licence until the full term is completed.

Not sure that I would want a convicted rapist working as a plumber or electrician in people's homes, nor that someone on the *** Offenders Register would get the clearance to do so . . and rightly so.

Someone with that profession would not be allowed to return to their previous work for the obvious reason of potentially being alone with women, vulnerable or otherwise.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast