+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: They played for both teams

re: They played for both teams

New to this guys...I think Dave Waller played for Chesterfield...scored alot of goals for us and them !

Welcome and yes Dave Waller great goalscorer how could any of us of a certain age forget Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick
    Here's another one from the fantastic sixties...John Archer. 1966-68. Local lad from Biddulph.
    Obviously remember "Dan" John Archer. Had a tremendous free kick in him and seemed to play with a smile.

Another who played for both was Kevin McHale. He was with us in the late 60s and was maybe one of the most talented players ever at the Alex.

Gregor Robertson? Or too blindingly obvious?

Certainly Gary Roberts Mk II, the unwilling loanee who never wanted to come to Crewe, has always made it clear how far beneath him we were. And what a pity, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by weymouthalex
    I think this might be a very short list as not many players have played for both clubs as far as I know, but one from the past is Walter Whitehurst who only played a few games for the Alex in 60-61. Also had one game for Man U in about 1956 before going to Chesterfield. I must have seen him play but I can’t say I remember anything about him.
    But I do remember Colin Prophett from my days at Crewe Grammar (61-68); he was a couple of years older than us.
    Thanks for that one, Weymouth. He was not on my list. There are more players who played for both clubs than you could imagine. Here are two more.

KEITH STOTT, who played admirably for us during that 1967-68 promotion season. He was a wing half. Then there was the man who scored a total of 8 hat-tricks for the Alex (a club record), none other than the great FRANK LORD. How we could do with a player of his capabilities right now?

Year and a half younger than me, Weymouth, but I remember Colin as ferociously competitive in almost any sport. Indeed, my impression of him is even more of a cricketer. Did he not play for the L.M.R.?

(Nice part of the world you live in. I used to love taking the ferry to Cherbourg while it was running, having stopped off to see my old auntie at Briantspuddle on the way.)

Indeed a number of Grammar school lads joined LMR for cricket at a time when the first team were facing the likes of Gary Sobers and Wes Hall!
    It is lovely down here in Dorset, although not a hotbed of footballing talent. The ferry only goes as far as Jersey these days. I have become rather fond of your part of the world in the last couple of years as my son has set up home in Edinburgh, a short walk from Easter Road. Enjoyed the fireworks at Meadowbank only last week.
    Sorry this is off the subject but to get back to the point:a little research has uncovered a chap called David Boyle (not Frankie) who played 35 times for the Alex in 1952-54 before going on to Chesterfield. I don’t think anyone on here is old enough to remember him!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teammoo
    Iremember a pint of dandelion and burdock and quarter of fruit salad sweets.Get them in the morning before school then in again after lunch 2nd sitting .lol.
    Bunch of Grammar School lads on here obviously. Intelligent lot. [/quote]
    Tom Potts (a rather eccentric English teacher) once collared me one lunch-time: "Repair to the tuck shop, laddie, and purchase for me 5 ..." cigarettes (I can't remember the brand).

Once went to the Victoria Ground to watch Colin Prophett play for Sheffield ?United? Stoke won and I believe the Sheffield team were relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by danarcher8
    Here's another one from the fantastic sixties...John Archer. 1966-68. Local lad from Biddulph.
    Obviously remember "Dan" John Archer. Had a tremendous free kick in him and seemed to play with a smile.

Another who played for both was Kevin McHale. He was with us in the late 60s and was maybe one of the most talented players ever at the Alex.[/quote]

Sorry, but my records do not list Kevin McHale playing for Chesterfield. McHale began his footballing career at Huddersfield. He was there from 1956-67. He joined up with the Alex, helping them to win promotion in 1968. After leaving Crewe in 1970, he joined Chester for a fee of £5,000. He finished his playing days at Hastings, joining them in 1972. As you say, McHale was a fine player.

It is interesting to note that Kevin McHale played alongside Denis Law whilst at Huddersfield.

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick

Another who played for both was Kevin McHale. He was with us in the late 60s and was maybe one of the most talented players ever at the Alex.[/quote]

Sorry, but my records do not list Kevin McHale playing for Chesterfield. McHale began his footballing career at Huddersfield. He was there from 1956-67. He joined up with the Alex, helping them to win promotion in 1968. After leaving Crewe in 1970, he joined Chester for a fee of £5,000. He finished his playing days at Hastings, joining them in 1972. As you say, McHale was a fine player.

It is interesting to note that Kevin McHale played alongside Denis Law whilst at Huddersfield.[/quo

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast