+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Well hopeful as deadline approaches

re: 'Well hopeful as deadline approaches

I've supported the Well Society since its inception and will continue to do so but it has got bridges to build with the membership. Up until now the impression that I have, and it may be wrong, is that the Society Board members are far closer to the club than they are to their own members. That has to change.

Now I know there are good reasons of commercial / legal confidentiality constraining their current negotiations but they could still have been a tad more open and tansparent. Its not good enough that members have learnt bits and pieces through avenues such as the Scotsman for example.

If the takeover is successful or if the Society continues under a new owner then it has to work far harder with the fans. A start for example would be an open meeting with members or indeed all fans to give us all a true picture of the club's health.

I am sorry to say this but I've lost a lot of trust in the well society and know that's probably wrong way to go but I feel it's a bit cliche I joined my whole family including wife who has no interest in football whatsoever but I just feel left out these days . It seems only certain members get the inside on what's going on and my thoughts are its the ones who frequent the centenary on match days .I gflt when the original board of 4 was elected it was done properly but then another 3 were added without any consultation with members and from their my trust began to waiver as thought if another 3 were needed why was it not done democratically .I also have decided won't be putting any more money in and all my friends have said same until we get answers on the state of the club as feel we are only getting part of the jigsaw and the majority of it is missing but will still be their every day as feel the club needs our support more than ever.

It is part of the Society rules that the board co-opt at least two members. They don't have a choice about it. The number of elected members must be greater than those co-opted.

Informing fans about the state of the club is a matter for the club board, not the Society (it's not the owner), and in May they issued a statement about the year on year losses and the need for the a solution. The Society has been working to raise the necessary cash and we'll know in a week or so if they have succeeded.

I understand the frustrations about being kept in the dark but I reckon we can give the Society another few days to secure a deal.

Let's be optimistic and assume that they will agree a soft loan to reach the target and that ownership is transferred to the Society. At that point the club will be ours and all fans should get behind the enterprise. Of course there will be problems ahead but the welfare of the club will be in our hands.

Do I detect some positive hints from your latest post JWOK? Not hopes and aspirations, but actual hints??

I thought the deadline was this month so Sunday have they been given an extension as the way i am thinking i would like a new manager in place by ross county game at latest as play them st mirren and partick in a row and we need to take something from them as dont expect anything from celtic next league game but its Motherwell so you never know.

Hopefully there are answers to all the above points in the below response. In general, it's a difficult time to communicate but fingers-crossed there is a fresh start in the next week or so:

Should the Well Society plan succeed, there is a business plan prepared which makes less ambitious assumptions. Hopefully people will see the sense in a less risky business model and engage/re-engage with the WS if the plan succeeds.
    Might be an acceptance issue for some fans because of the the raised expectations from the recent league success and European adventures, but that has been built on combined losses of not far off £1m in the last three seasons. So something must change and would almost definitely have to change whoever takes control.
    Don't think it should necessarily spell doom and gloom. Pretty sure the club budgeted for the worst-case scenario in the late 80s/early90s too and used cup run money as a bonus to build for the following season, and that wasn't a bad period to watch Mothe

Thanks for the update. Let's hope we can soon have a wee toast to the coming of a community owned club.

Many of us have had that wish for a long, long time

Quote Originally Posted by jwok
    Thanks for the update. Let's hope we can soon have a wee toast to the coming of a community owned club.

Many of us have had that wish for a long, long time
    Wish I could share your enthusiasm. I just cant see how we will avoid ending up a Championship regular in years to come because our fan base is too small in my opinion to sustain a top division club... but good luck to those working hard to make it work.

We will have to cut our cloth accordingly I don't doubt but surely our average crowds aren't an awful lot less than say St Mirren, St Johnstone and Inverness? All these sides are SPL regulars.

Sides like Inverness, Hamilton and St Johnstone have proved what can be achieved on a limited playing budget. What I would like to see though is a far better youth system.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    We will have to cut our cloth accordingly I don't doubt but surely our average crowds aren't an awful lot less than say St Mirren, St Johnstone and Inverness? All these sides are SPL regulars.

Sides like Inverness, Hamilton and St Johnstone have proved what can be achieved on a limited playing budget. What I would like to see though is a far better youth system.
    You may well be right but none of those teams you mention have been top division regulars overs the last 25 years. So we should expect our chances of falling out the SPFL will greatly increase just like the 80's where we were a yo yo club.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)