+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 10 Things we know about Southport FC

10 Things we know about Southport FC

1.They play in the Vanarama Conference, the 5th tier of the football conference.

2.They are currently 18th out of 24 teams, having won 8, drawn 6 and lost 12, scoring 28 and conceding 40 this season so far

3.They play in yellow and black

4.They first played in 1881

5.They are known as the Sandgrounders

6.They’ve conceded 6 of the 40 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game and 7 of the 40 in the first 15 minutes of the second half

7.Their current league form makes them stronger away from home

8.Average attendance for games with Southport in the Vanarama is 1322

9.Their manager watched Derby V Dirty Leeds and described the Rams as “the best footballing side outside of the Premier”

10.They have a player called Charlie Joyce, which, if you say it fast, Sounds like Charlie George.

re: 10 Things we know about Southport FC

In the 60s when they were in the football league they had a goalkeeper with a big long beard, who looked like Father Christmas

John Bishop used to play for them. I guess he was a bit of a comedian even then.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    In the 60s when they were in the football league they had a goalkeeper with a big long beard, who looked like Father Christmas

John Bishop used to play for them. I guess he was a bit of a comedian even then.

Quite right OTR, the TV "funnyman" was almost booted out of the club after turning up to the club’s end-of-season match in Rhyl dressed as Elvis.

I saw the last game we played against them. The last home game in 1956/57. We won 2-0 in front of over 25,000 and won 3rd North title.

One other thing about Southport the tide goes out bl**dy miles

I took a bird there for a weekend in the 80s didn't see much of the town ?

Quote Originally Posted by southernram22
    I took a bird there for a weekend in the 80s didn't see much of the town ?
    Seagull?

No that was Brighton

it was a good weekend until I found out she was a regular visitor to the place with others ?

Did she get you a discount at the hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    Did she get you a discount at the hotel?
    She got me a discount anyway.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)