+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: To Reach the Play-Offs

To Reach the Play-Offs

On average, it takes about 72 points to get to a Championship play-off place. This looks like being a particularly close season, but I'll stick to that figure.
    It means a team has to average about 1.57 points per game to reach that target. So far Rovers have averaged about 1.46 per match. In the remaining games, we would have to average around 1.68 to reach sixth place.
    In terms of W/D/L, what this means is: compared to 9/8/7 from 24 so far, we would have to get something like 10/7/5 from the remaining 22 games.
    Of course, from game to game, statistics mean nothing. They only become meaningful with a larger sample. All the same, the figures do show how difficult it is going to be. The key, of course, is that draws aren't going to be good enough. In fact, if we WIN 12 games, it won't matter if we draw one and lose nine of the rest. (Not realistic, obviously).
    So, the philosophy of being satisfied with a draw becomes more useless as the season progresses. (If we draw our remaining 22 gam

re: To Reach the Play-Offs

Auk's- You antipodean's must be bored out your skin to put together all those statistics, without even knowing how the January window is going to affect our club, Tunnicliffe has been re-called, probably Lennon will re-call Baptiste, and Orr will return from Toronto and feck everything up; not to mention Rhodes is going to lessen our debt and O'Sullivan and Forrester are going to save our souls.

Happy New Year,,,and I think we have more chance of reaching the play-offs than Burnleh staying up.

Quote Originally Posted by joinerpat
    Auk's- You antipodean's must be bored out your skin to put together all those statistics, without even knowing how the January window is going to affect our club, Tunnicliffe has been re-called, probably Lennon will re-call Baptiste, and Orr will return from Toronto and feck everything up; not to mention Rhodes is going to lessen our debt and O'Sullivan and Forrester are going to save our souls.
    Happy New Year,,,and I think we have more chance of reaching the play-offs than Burnleh staying up.
    Pat - I really hope we can hang on to Baptiste. He has probably been our most consistent player.
    Sorry about the statistics, but they do represent the cold facts of what we need to aim at.
    Happy New Year!
    I actually sat in the garden (with a beer) under a sun-shade to compile those figures. I quite enjoyed it, but I am a bit weird like that - or so the wife keeps telling me.

Tut tut pat I detect sarcasm in your message especially the bit about Forrester and o Connell
    As Whitney would sing i believe the kids are the future.

Edit you said o Sullivan not o Connell apologies

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover
    Tut tut pat I detect sarcasm in your message especially the bit about Forrester and o Connell
    As Whitney would sing i believe the kids are the future.

Edit you said o Sullivan not o Connell apologies
    No need for apologies robin- My grandsons have been bringing me up to speed on the current reserve squad, there was no sarcasm intended although now I have read it back; it does give that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by joinerpat

TBH Pat I think you have got that last statement the wrong way round mate.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo

TBH Pat I think you have got that last statement the wrong way round mate. [/quote]

I agree with Alf.

And Orr has been dumped by Toronto and is back!

Quote Originally Posted by DanRrr

TBH Pat I think you have got that last statement the wrong way round mate. [/quote]

I agree with Alf.

And Orr has been dumped by Toronto and is back! [/quote]

Draws are no good and I cant see who they are going to beat !!!

WADR Aucks your analysis just illustrates the dilemma that is prevalent and has been for some considerable time I.e. Whilst the mindset is seemingly set to 'protect a point' first and foremost and go looking for the extra two as and when the opportunity arises, you invariably will end up with far too many draws at the expense of too few wins, so that when a defeat occurs you are left on the back foot having to 'catch up' ie one step forward two steps back.
    This season is panning out pretty much as expected, and I personally still see us finishing marginally inside or outside top six.
    I still hold the belief that using the more offensive mindset with a squad that I think is capable (of reaching play offs, not quite top two in my book), we could make the cut.
    It may well be that GB is 'keeping his powder dry' for the more important phase coming upon us from here on , and I fervently hope so as he deserves it.
    As said by many, even if we made it (promotion) this squad could not live in th

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)