+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saints v Ipswich

Saints v Ipswich

Back from the game, and disappointed to be left facing a replay in between two tough away trips in the League.

That was a game which, but for some overly-laboured build up play and a couple of bizarre referee / linesman decisions, we should have won quite comfortably.

Thought we missed Mane - his running in behind their four would have been infinitely more of a threat than the lonesome Pelle.

Speaking of Pelle, he needs to keep his arms to himself - he's giving away far too many wasteful free kicks at times when we should be taking advantage of some good balls out of defence. Several poor touches and beaten in many aerial duels made this one of his poorer games for Saints.

Fonte impressed, as he tends to these days. I was too far from their goal to tell whether he could have done anything to stop their header.

Bertrand had a solid game - didn't really put a foot wrong.

Gardos looked as composed as I've seen him so far. He's still a bit slow to respond at times, but he's fast bec

re: Saints v Ipswich

Frustrating game but a fair result, it's worth bearing in mind that Ipswich have only lost 1 in 20 and are unbeaten in 12 so their no mugs.
    I thought we looked tired and a bit predictable, but Ipswich seemed content to sit back and pack their defence, a late free kick to us saw all 11 players in their penalty area.
    Hopefully Clyne will be back for the replay as i thought in the second half we were crying out for someone to attack their left back Mings.
    2 definate penalties in the second half imo, the first for the foul on Long and the second on Bertrand when their centre back pulled him back when he got in the box. This was right in front of the referee who i thought was poor, there were at least two occasions when he played the advantage and there wasn't any.
    Slightly disappointed, but i didn't see anything to suggest we can't win the replay if we put out a strong side and play to our potential. Also pleased we didn't pick up any more injuries will the players having a week off before

Sounds like a frustrating match.
    As for the replay, can't say the quiet confidence is shared.

The draw will be enough for the more retarded of our charity thieving neighbours to salivate over until the replay. Southsea Common will be a sea of semen filled socks tonight

I bet I'm not wrong

[quote="PapaLazarou"]Back from the game, and disappointed to be left facing a replay in between two tough away trips in the League.

That was a game which, but for some overly-laboured build up play and a couple of bizarre referee / linesman decisions, we should have won quite comfortably.

Thought we missed Mane - his running in behind their four would have been infinitely more of a threat than the lonesome Pelle.

Speaking of Pelle, he needs to keep his arms to himself - he's giving away far too many wasteful free kicks at times when we should be taking advantage of some good balls out of defence. Several poor touches and beaten in many aerial duels made this one of his poorer games for Saints.

Fonte impressed, as he tends to these days. I was too far from their goal to tell whether he could have done anything to stop their header.

Bertrand had a solid game - didn't really put a foot wrong.

Gardos looked as composed as I've seen him so far. He's still

Agree Isgrove was Terrier like even when he took a clonk to the head once they patched him up he was back in there and scrapping.

Thought big Vic made a few lame back passes at times and Pelle seemed a bit lonely up front.

Although we dominated for the most part we just couldn't seem to break them down enough to score and full marks to the Ipswich fans who definately out sung us today i'm afarid.

Onward and upward i suppose.

Fully expected Ipswich to be a tough nut to crack when the draw was made, and that certainly proved to be the case - and yes, hats off for an organised and effective display by McCarthy's lads.

That said, I still think we showed enough quality throughout most of the game to win the tie, albeit we were very sterile in front of goal.

And I don't think anyone will be on JWP's back - it's clear he's not cut out to be a RB and had Toby or Cork been fully fit (let alone Clyne), then either one of them would have surely got the nod.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLazarou
    Fully expected Ipswich to be a tough nut to crack when the draw was made, and that certainly proved to be the case - and yes, hats off for an organised and effective display by McCarthy's lads.

That said, I still think we showed enough quality throughout most of the game to win the tie, albeit we were very sterile in front of goal.

And I don't think anyone will be on JWP's back - it's clear he's not cut out to be a RB and had Toby or Cork been fully fit (let alone Clyne), then either one of them would have surely got the nod.
    Perhaps we just need Jrod back?

Who was mentioned on Solent after the match as not likely to return for another few months yet

It would be great to have a fully fit JRod back in the squad.

Unfortunately, I was chatting with someone earlier today who said he's still walking around with a stick, although that may be because he had an op / procedure to drain fluid from his knee earlier in the week (or so I'm told).

Either way, it isn't looking great for a return in the near future..

Decided on a change of viewing and went for center seats over the halfway line. Sadly the game didn't provide the result I would have liked. Had to weather the storm in the first 20 minutes from the team and the Ipswich fans who made an excellent noise and we seemed stuck in 3rd gear.
    2nd half was much better and provides hope in the replay but only if we play at our usual intensity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast