+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ched Evans

Ched Evans

Should we consider offering him a contract?

re: Ched Evans

Definitely NO

No,NO, NO!!!!. I totally understand and accept that once someone has done their time, they should be allowed to move on with their life. HOWEVER, part of the rehabilitation has to be accepting that you have done wrong, this he refuses to do. If he accepted what he had done, I may have felt differently

If you read today's stuff on BBC sport, he's apologising to all concerned for the fuss that's been created, although I'm not sure if he's actually admitting to the charge of rape.
    It's a tough call, but as you say, he's served his time in prison and can't be expected to never be able to 'work' in football again?

Evans had been criticised for failing to apologise to his victim, but, in a statement issued via the Professional Footballers' Association, he said: "Upon legal advice, I was told not to discuss the events in question.
    "This silence has been misinterpreted as arrogance and I would like to state that this could not be further from the truth.

"I do remain limited at present by what I can say due to the ongoing referral to the Criminal Cases Review Commission and whilst I continue to maintain my innocence, I wish to make it clear that I wholeheartedly apologise for the effects that night in Rhyl has had on many people, not least the woman concerned.

"Finally, it has been claimed that those using social media in an abusive and vindictive way towards this woman are supporters of mine. I wish to make it clear that these people are not my supporters and I condemn their actions entirely and will continue to do so."

I am sorry, but he has NOT admitted rape. All he has said is that he is sorry for everything that happened that night. Until he does, I would not be in favour of anyone singing him. If he did admit he raped the woman then he could really start to be rehabilitated, and THEN, no team would have a reason for refusing to sign him.

No. There's no way I would like to see us sign ched evans. I did read today, ex Hearts full back Ryan McGowan is back looking for a club. He would fit the bill for us but wages would be a problem. He's out of contract so worth a look at.

Absolutely not. There is no way that Motherwell FC as a family club should entertain signing a convicted *** offender.

Not looking to give too much credence to this matter, but got a couple of points;
    1. His appeal's actually been accepted by English courts; that doesn't happen unless Queen's Council believe there's fair and reasonable doubt as to a conviction.
    2. His statement today could smack of desperation, and a 'Jingz, what am I going to do now'? scenario. If he was advised previously to make 'no comment', he's clearly now been advised to make some noise.

All in all, it's a story we don't need at Fir Park - whether he's reprieved or not.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)