+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Keeper

Our Keeper

Im not blaming all issues on Dan - he's a good shot stopper and clearly not the man to blame for lack of goals for.

That said, there are area's where he causes us issues and for me highlights how much we miss Randolph and Ruddy.

The first goal was a shocker today to be beaten so easily from that range.

Goal 2 - after disgraceful defending the keeper comes out but then stops. WTF - once you come you keep coming until you either take the ball or the guy scores. Poor defending but Dan was poor here too.

Goal 3- a joke

Goal 4 - a joke

I don't think Randolph would have conceded any of those goals.

A keeper should take everything in the 6 yard box and command both his area + his defence. Dan doesn't

Long story short, not all our pi55 poor results are his fault but I wouldn't keep him in the summer. I'd drop him from next weeks game.

re: Our Keeper

well we have not got those other keepers because we have not got two bob. what do you expect with constant budget cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by protester
    well we have not got those other keepers because we have not got two bob. what do you expect with constant budget cuts.
    Don't agree. We must have the two worst keepers in the league. Are you saying that Accies, Ross County, Partick, ICT and St Johnstone all have more to spend on players than we do? We were never going to replace Ruddy and Randolph with a similar calibre of player but we could have done much better than Hollis, Neilsen and Twardzik.

Dan has made a couple of howlers today but he also made some good saves. He's still in my mind by far our best player this season and if not for him our GD would be through the floor.

So I think you are being a bit unfair.

1st goal today was deflected, we'll need to see the other camera angle to see if Dan could have done better.

2nd goal I thought he made a good save and was unlucky the rebound went straight to the striker. I'm holding some shocking defending to blame for that one.

He held his hands up for the third during the game and although he should be stronger for the 4th goal and just come out and claim it I think O'Brien has to take the lions share of that blame there.

Nielsen was hopeless in a much better team the idea of him being in goals for a team that usually has about 20 shots against it is frightening.

yes St Johnstone own us regarding finances

The keeper isn't good enough, simple as that. I take on board he has kept the score down at times this season, (celtic game). He was 3rd choice at Dundee before he came here. He can't command his area, he is frightening at cross balls. If he came out and caught that ball last week against Aberdeen instead of punching weakly we wouldn't have conceded the penalty. Things like this add up over the course of a season, they catch up on you. He has also been caught out from distance this season to, Killie and stjarnan games spring to mind. I heard McCall say last season he took nothing to do with signing the keepers, it was Marshalls decision. I hope the new manager takes a more hands on approach and doesn't let marshall near the decision making process if we get a new keeper any time soon.

I think this is a far more important point, than it may seam. Confidence starts from the keeper. If the defence has confidence that they have a commanding presence behind them, they tend to show more confidence themselves.

That works both ways if keeper has commanding defence in front of him he takes confidence in his own ability,and they then begin to play as a unit.That way everyone knows their jobs at defending free kicks,corners etc too many times this season we have a opposition forward standing right in front of the keeper,your centre back or other defender is meant to protect him we dont and end up losing goals.We also defend corners with no one marking the front post,every game this season we have done this,and we have suffered for it.

Yes confidence works both ways.

However, if before a single ball is kicked in anger, a keeper is physically unsuited to deal with cross balls then you either have to have 2 giant centre backs or the centre backs have to adjust their preferred game to compensate for the keeper's lack of stature. In this way the keeper heavily influences defensive tactics even before KO. In effect we are having to set up our defence for a known serious weakness before the first ball is kicked. Not a good way to start a game.

Quote Originally Posted by protester
    yes St Johnstone own us regarding finances
    Ross County could buy and sell us using their loose change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)