+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thoughts from today...

Thoughts from today...

I've not been much this season...I don't live locally, have a long commute and a young son so getting to games is tricky, however today was an exception so my thoughts are as follows;

Today was a bit like watching a game just after pre-season...a large handful of players who seemed less than match fit and a team still trying to come to terms with their style, movement and familiarity with one another. This is usually fine but we're over half way through the season and in a relegation fight. It takes time, which is running out.

Finding positives from this though we were only a few successful passes and a bit of luck away from creating real goal scoring chances. Dare I say it at points our attacking play reminded me of Arsenal and their unfortunate need at times to walk the ball in the net.

Bournemouth however looked and played like the team we've every ambition to be with regard to style and tempo, only that their players are frankly better suited to it and have had more experienc

re: Thoughts from today...

Excellent summary Saxon.
    Totally agree about Smallwood, way more important to us than Green.
    I would only pick up on the comparison between Howe and Evans.
    If Evans had Howe's transfers kitty then I guess we might eventually get that goal scorer that we all want.

Enjoyed reading that Saxon, nice one.

I was disappointed after yesterday defeat. I never like to see the boys lose, even if it is to the team at the top of the league.

One positive I did take from yesterday is that when we got the ball we seemed to be a bit more direct than we have been in many games this season. When I mean direct I don't mean hoof ball, I mean that we were trying to get forward - particularly Hammill rather than pass the ball side to side. How many times this season have we had high percentage of the ball when you see the stats, but if you'd been at the game you'd have seen that it wasn't dangerous possession - Ipswich away being an example.

The other thing I've reflected on is that it was a shame in some ways that when you've got five new players in the team you play the league leaders.

Onwards and upwards...

Agree original post Newton for Green. Need a R. back & goalscorer. Give new players a chance to get match fit. Hope its for Bolton. What I'd like to see happen is Ward & Hamill switch wings, then they're on there natural foot.

Great post and agree with every point saxon with the exception of Barmby. See this kid as being able to pick a pass or two just not suited to playing with Sammon - needs to play with a striker to sit on the shoulder to get the best out of his passing ability.

Plenty for us to be positive over

Utm

Offside/ throw in ? Are you on about the first half ?
    The Lino had the flag up well before the ball went out but play carried on then there was a throw in.
    I didn't understand any of it tbh.