+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to drop Arni or play him in midfield?

re: Time to drop Arni or play him in midfield?

Arni should play. At centre back he is by a double country mile more likely to play a useful pass than anyone. One of the reasons he 'occasionally' gets caught in possession is the lack of movement in front of him. He thinks quicker in possession than most of our squad. It's a bit harsh to hold him responsible for their two goals. As a team we have become woeful at seeing games out to half time and full time. Having conceded just before halftime in the FA Cup the reality is that collectively we screwed up again just on the stroke of added, added, added time - we were also unlucky - there was a slice of fortune in their favour for that strange first goal.
    As for their second, they got several kind bounces of the ball, it owed more to the 'random' nature of sport than any individual error. In old fashioned speak bournemouths second was dead poxy.
    Arni in midfield is worth a try.

Most likely to play a useful pass yes most likely to concede a goal yes - 1st goal he was woefully out of position nothing to do with movement in front of him and it's not the first time this year either. 2nd he was involved tho there was also some luck involved. I'd sacrifice his ability to pass and rely on someone dropping deep for some solidity right now.

Donald - on reflection you are right re smallwood. The play of hamill, ward and Barmby did show promise but that last ball did let them down though I think that will come as the team gels and we aren't playing the top of the league.

I think the key to survival may rest on whether matt Derbyshire can find the net as I do think as based on what we have a 4411 with Barmby behind Derbyshire is our best chance...

Ghost - I don't regard Arnie as the most likely to concede a goal. I think if you analysed all our goals conceded you'd probably find Arnie and Morgan level pegging on errors involved in goals conceded.

Against Blackpool at home Morgan was out of position and beaten by the long ball bounce and pace for the move which led to Collins air kick. Similarly, Morgan's positional play, slip and lack of pace led to Birmingham's winner. At Blackpool, Arnie missed the second header for their goal and 5 players went to sleep for that Blackpool equaliser including the young left back who failed to block the run of the scorer.

I think Arnie often compensates for Morgan's lack of pace and Morgs does the no nonsense defending usually to a high standard. On balance I think Arnie and Morgs remain our best central defence option. I prefer to look at the whole back four and collective responsibility for goals conceded. More often than not goals conceded are a combination of good forward play and a seri

there was only one weak link yesterday and that was richardson. his lack of game time was prob the factor as over all, hes done ok this season..

regards arni, its a little like derbyshire upfront. he is our best option at the moment so we play him at CB.

cant help thinking wood is not in favour with the gaffer. he looked composed in the game/games i have seen him and has loads of championship experience..

Brin is this a wind up, it must be because nobody can be this foolish. He is our best player, without him we would have been hammered yesterday. The block in the first half was amazing the tackle that he made in the second half on the half way line was perfect and if he hadn't have done it they were through on goal again 3 v 1

Mark agreed Morgan isn't far behind on goals given front. I like the sound of moving him up next to Smallwood with wood in defence.

Colin
    Richardson wood Morgan fryers
    Smallwood arneson
    hammill barmby ward
    Derbyshire

(I believe Derbyshire finding form is linked to our survival.)

Looks pretty strong to me and if plan a doesn't work can always swap Derbyshire ward and barmby for Samson pringle and Bowery and play a more physical and direct game.

Just tried it on football manager, won six nil with a Derbyshire hat trick so it's gotta work

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson
    Absolute nonsense to drop Arni for a start.

He was MOM yesterday. He was clearly fouled running up to their first goal and was unfortunate for the second.

He is the ONLY defender at the club who has can pass a ball and bring it calmly out of defence.
    Man of the Match! He cannot pass under pressure and often loses the ball when he is tha last man in the line.

I'd like his obvious talents to be tried in midfield.

I agree Morgan has been poor and for me he shouldn't be Captain. He doesn't display passion and I would like to see that in a captain

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller
    Absolute nonsense to drop Arni for a start.

He was MOM yesterday. He was clearly fouled running up to their first goal and was unfortunate for the second.

He is the ONLY defender at the club who has can pass a ball and bring it calmly out of defence.
    He cannot pass under pressure

[/quote]

Biggest load of crap i have ever read.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12