+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: scout network

re: scout network

Totally agree fellows, my biggest gripe over the last 4/5 season s has been the way contracts have been handled, we have lost out big time. The season we let all the players contracts run down, Higgy, Law. Randolph, Humphrey, Hately for example was a scandal. That was the season we played some cracking football. They maybe all wouldn't have signed, but we left it till it was too late. Only team I've heard of with this utterly stupid policy. Then Hutchy went for nothing, Murphy, Ojamaa, Anier for buttons, replacements have been poor. We have been peeing into the wind since.
    My fear is that we are years behind some of our rivals, including Accies. The custodians of the club should hang their heads in shame with that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by andyss1886
    my biggest gripe over the last 4/5 season s has been the way contracts have been handled, we have lost out big time. The season we let all the players contracts run down, Higgy, Law. Randolph, Humphrey, Hately for example was a scandal. That was the season we played some cracking football. They maybe all wouldn't have signed, but we left it till it was too late.
    Many of these players were signed with a view to selling them on to English Championship clubs. However the bottom then fell out of the market and the club was left high and dry. The players concerned decided to let their contracts run out and of course there wasn't a thing we could do about that.

Cant get my head round this accies on/off transfer why would anyone pay over 2 million for a guy who has only made 100 first team appearances and is out of contract in the summer when you can get him for nothing offer him a 10k a week contract over 4 yrs starting in the summer and your still quids in.

I would be intrigued to see the Motherwell Football Club business plan and strategy document and indeed those relating back over the years.

It's apparent (in my view at least) that since as far back as the Bosman ruling, the tried and tested catch them young, develop them and punt them for a profit model was abandoned in exchange for tapping into otherwise previously unexplored markets.

The difficulty with adopting a policy of only offering a maximum of a two year contract with incentives is that whilst it may bring some immediate impact on the field, it seldom turns a profit or longevity of successful on field performance. Motherwell have ridden the crest of an on field wave in recent years with such a cyclical business model but have failed to capitalise on any of that success as a business. Les Hutchinson said as much in one of his first interviews.

It seems to me that whilst other Scottish clubs such as Accies and United have accepted that for a period of years, their on field p

Many of these players were signed with a view to selling them on to English Championship clubs. However the bottom then fell out of the market and the club was left high and dry. The players concerned decided to let their contracts run out and of course there wasn't a thing we could do about that.[/quote]

Have to disagree with that statement. Higdon him self said that if we had offered hiom a contract at the start of the season he would have bitten their hands off, instead they waited until he was league top scorer, by which time he had better offers. Dempster her self said the club would have to leave the contracts that season until they were sure they would finish in the top 6 before they could make offers. Why wre we the only club affected by this 'market collapse' other teams still sold to champ teams during this time. Griffith to wolves just one example. Sorry, but not buying that.

Quote Originally Posted by wellowell
    Cant get my head round this accies on/off transfer why would anyone pay over 2 million for a guy who has only made 100 first team appearances and is out of contract in the summer when you can get him for nothing offer him a 10k a week contract over 4 yrs starting in the summer and your still quids in.
    Looks like paper talk. No way will WHU pay £2mill for him when his contract is up in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it
    my biggest gripe over the last 4/5 season s has been the way contracts have been handled, we have lost out big time. The season we let all the players contracts run down, Higgy, Law. Randolph, Humphrey, Hately for example was a scandal. That was the season we played some cracking football. They maybe all wouldn't have signed, but we left it till it was too late.
    Many of these players were signed with a view to selling them on to English Championship clubs. However the bottom then fell out of the market and the club was left high and dry. The players concerned decided to let their contracts run out and of course there wasn't a thing we could do about that.[/quote]

Sorry mate, I cant buy that either. I accept the premise of your suggestion that economic downturn had a detrimental impact upon the demand for the 'product' that Motherwell had to sell.

Are you saying then that cut p

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_de_acero
    Looks like paper talk. No way will WHU pay £2mill for him when his contract is up in the summer.[/quote]

£2 million quid to club like West Ham Utd is like us signing a free agent. They would pay that kind of money without blinking if it got them in first on a potential gem.

Part of our problem if the rumours are true is that we are paying players anything up to £1500 a week to sit on the bench,this is totally wrong and urgently needs looked at.Contracts for players should be of a reasonable basic wage but have a good win bonus which creates an incentive to go and have a go at teams if your living standards are dependent on it.Also win bonus payable only to the players that play which would create competition for places and have them desperate to play unlike current situation where you can pick up a decent wage for losing or sitting on the bench surely this has to be wrong

Nothing wrong with that shout. Would need to wait till summer for the cull, which hopefully will be similar to the one we had during the foot and mouth epidemic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)