+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadline day - what's happening?

Deadline day - what's happening?

I'm nesh and 77 miles away - so who of the hardy, obsessed Alex fan-hood is camped out at Reaseheath to report on comings and goings?

The boss says he wants a striker (duh! we all do), so who is driving in through those pearly gates in Nantwich to stardom?

re: Deadline day - what's happening?

I'm worried how little we created last Saturday and two attempts on goal was it? Was all this a one off or could we be heading back to the days of defeats and big scores? Maybe Colchester will test that question next Saturday. But we really do need an Uche type Striker who will hold the ball up and allow us to get forward more but are there that many out there willing to sign?

Time will tell but probably the loan market once again. Is there anyone coming through that would fit that particular bill? There must be dozens in non league?

We really must try and feed our academy players some decent grub!

I'm in broad agreement with that. However, at this stage of the season, where every game is going to be tough (it's tight at the bottom), I think young lads of our own or even non-leaguers is asking too much.

We need an established striker; possibly someone in their early 20s who needs three months 1st team games to be a step up. Don't ask me who ... my problem, along with everyone else's, but not my solution.

How about a month's loan of Akinfenwa, to be offered all the pies he can eat.

Time running out for SD to bring anyone else in now until the loan window opens again next week (I think). That means he will go with what he has got for those two important "six-pointers", against Colchester on Saturday and Yeovil next Tuesday.

With LDV retiring from the field of play with a hamstring injury, during the MK Dons thrashing, we are even lighter up front right now. Unless he is prepared to give Haber the green light, then it seems that he has nothing to lose in recalling Oliver from the L2 wilderness. Seeing the lad rise like a salmon to plant that goal into the opposition's net with his head, on the FL show on Saturday evening, then why not use him alongside Ajose? That is one partnership that has not been tested as yet and it might just come up trumps. It is all a gamble, as they say.

It was obvious on Saturday that Ajose was missing Uche's presence up front and the partnership with LDV wasn't working. I would agree with recalling Oliver as he's definitely in form at the moment and SD obviously doesn't rate Haber if he wasn't even prepared to bring him off the bench against MK when a big guy was needed

From Sky Sport...Blackburn striker Luke Varney’s future is in his own hands and is a target for Millwall. I wonder if he would like a trial at the Alex? Or is he too similar to what we have at the moment?

I wonder if it is worth SD getting on the phone to Dagenham & Redbridge tonight and enquiring about the evergreen Jamie Cureton? At the tender age of 39, this bloke keeps popping up with the goals wherever he travels. In 777 appearances, Cureton has banged in 267 goals. Mind you, he is a little on the short size.

Billy Bodin. Only 22, helped us to promotion and I'm not sure if he was on the bench at wembley. Thought he was a really bright player on loan from swindon. Has just signed for Northampton, could do the them a swap, Haber fro Bodin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancrewefan4ever
    Billy Bodin. Only 22, helped us to promotion and I'm not sure if he was on the bench at wembley. Thought he was a really bright player on loan from swindon. Has just signed for Northampton, could do the them a swap, Haber fro Bodin.
    Ryan...He was at Wembley, although he cut a lonely figure up there on the steps, as he did not actually feature on the pitch that day. He did alright for us, although it is not a winger we need (although as you know, I do like orthodox wing play), it is a centre forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast