+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Premier League Scalps

re: Premier League Scalps

OK, another was 90-91 when we beat Dunfermline as I recall at East End Park. We somehow withstood a last twenty minute battering before winning in extra time.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG
    Now , I am not going to upset Cresswell too much about banging on about how good this era is compared to others but I was wondering this . How many Premier League scalps have Queens taken since reconstruction in 1975-76 ? I know there isn't that many but can anyone come up with the definitive list ?
    Why should I be upset, JRSLEFTPEG? You are entitled to express your opinions just as I am entitled to express mine. I am curious, though, what your definition is of an era. I have always said that Queens should be a good mid-table Championship club that will flirt more often with relegation than we will challenge seriously for promotion: and so it has proved in recent years. Since we won promotion in season 2001/02 we have not once looked like being promoted come the end of the season but we have been relegated. We then had a quite magnificent season in what was then SFL Division 2 but I make the point elsewhere that we were then the

By my counting we have won nine games against Premier League opposition since 1975-76 reconstruction. Interestingly , four of these have come in the last seven years and that would indicate that we are shortening the gap in quality between us and certainly the bottom half of the SPL.These wins were Ayr and St.Johnstone 75-6, Hibs 77-8,Falkirk 87-8, Dunfermline 90-1,Aberdeen 07-08, Hibs 12-13, St.Mirren 13-14, St.Johnstone 14-15.Older Queens fans will remember famous cup wins over Motherwell 2-0 in 79-80 and Dundee 6-0 in 77-8 but these dont count as they were in the same league ( Division 1) as us at the time.

Hammer - are you sure Motherwell were in the same league as Queens in the 79 - 80 cup tie ? I seem to remember your old workmate frae Sanquhar Ian Mitchell and McCann scoring for the super south against First Division 'Well.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmyman
    Hammer - are you sure Motherwell were in the same league as Queens in the 79 - 80 cup tie ? I seem to remember your old workmate frae Sanquhar Ian Mitchell and McCann scoring for the super south against First Division 'Well.
    You are correct . Queens were in the second division and Motherwell the first . My mistake.

Cresswell - I was just trying to have a bit of banter with you. I won't bother you again and that's a promise.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSLEFTPEG
    Cresswell - I was just trying to have a bit of banter with you. I won't bother you again and that's a promise.
    Don't be like that JRSLEFTPEG. I don't always agree with your comments just as you don't always agree with mine but I know you are sincere in your support for Queens. I hope you will accept that I am,too, although I may show it in different ways from you. For the most part, I rather enjoy your contributions. There isn't enough banter, or cut and thrust, here. We need a bit of controversy. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that this site is generally far too benign. Provided that comments aimed at me are not personally abusive I am generally happy to have my views challenged so de keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell
    Don't be like that JRSLEFTPEG. I don't always agree with your comments just as you don't always agree with mine but I know you are sincere in your support for Queens. I hope you will accept that I am,too, although I may show it in different ways from you. For the most part, I rather enjoy your contributions. There isn't enough banter, or cut and thrust, here. We need a bit of controversy. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that this site is generally far too benign. Provided that comments aimed at me are not personally abusive I am generally happy to have my views challenged so de keep it up.[/quote]

I also enjoy a bit of cut and thrust banter as long it does not degenerate into a slagging match and an exchange of insults using agricultural language.

In recent times we seem

Quote Originally Posted by Cresswell
    Don't be like that JRSLEFTPEG. I don't always agree with your comments just as you don't always agree with mine but I know you are sincere in your support for Queens. I hope you will accept that I am,too, although I may show it in different ways from you. For the most part, I rather enjoy your contributions. There isn't enough banter, or cut and thrust, here. We need a bit of controversy. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that this site is generally far too benign. Provided that comments aimed at me are not personally abusive I am generally happy to have my views challenge is so de keep it up.[/quote] I think some posts don't travel well abroad the cyber world like my one to you. A bit of gentle teasing could be seen as a dig and I fully understand that . I really do like you

I personally always like reading posts from JRSLEFTPEG & Cresswell . Keep it going gentlemen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)