+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corners

Corners

Firstly, great win last night, really needed it and you can see the guys growing in confidence. Shame that Ajose didn't bury the other 2 chances but on the bright side, if he had scored 4 (including the one off the post), I am sure Leeds would be calling him home!

Onto my pet hate, corners.. Am I missing something? I cant understand why we don't leave one or even two up front? A few months ago we played a couple of games where we did it and sure as eggs are eggs when the ball came out we could then break or at least stop it flying back into the box for them to have a second bite of the cherry. But game after game now the opposition are able to send the ball flying back into the box repeatedly from one corner, giving them essentially multiple chances for it to be bundled into our goal via the over crowded box.

So I say again, am I missing something as for me it doesn't make any sense.

I'm not trying to pour cold water on the win, just asking an honest question.

Also, Grant...is a

re: Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Adester
    Onto my pet hate, corners.. Am I missing something? I cant understand why we don't leave one or even two up front?

Have to agree, it is a bug-bear of mine too!
    It's not rocket science is it and there's enough of a brains trust running our club that you think they'd work it out!

Look on the bright side, our throw-ins have improved!
    Can't have everything!

Makes you wonder what they do at Reasheath as Corners have haunted Crewe for Years sometimes its like giving them a Penalty its so easy for the opposition to score.Also we dont score many when we have them also?

This drives us all nuts and actually asked Dario just a few weeks ago why we did that and he said they don't score many from corners do they...ie the opposition. Hmmmmm..

I say as you all do that its silly and it doesn't prevent goals. Lets say if we had three of our players up by the half way line for their corners (Yes, its mission impossible) but that would mean they have to keep as many if not more back and to me that is a win win because it allows us to break very quickly and also gives the GK more room to get the ball as it comes over. You would think we would leave at least one up. What surprises me is that its been the same for years.