+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arbroath 0 Albion Rovers 2

re: Arbroath 0 Albion Rovers 2

Not been on the site for a while for one reason or another, but had to come back and ask ...what the hell has happened to our team?
    I live down south so unable to see them very much but will somebody shed some light for me.
    Have we changed so much since being top with points to spare? Has the team revolted against the manager?
    Aye, there must be an answer somewhere?

Some pics

I am sure Kieran McWalter was in the stand last night, so maybe he will get a chance - hope so. - view external link

I can understand people being frustrated and disappointed last night, but I don't agree with some of the criticism.

Albion are a decent young team who defended well. They got a bit lucky with both goals IMO and we didn't get any breaks.

If Carriero had been fit then we might just have had the means to break their defence.

It's still all to play for in the run in to playoffs. C'mon the Lichties!

The 'we had the lions share of possession' chat may be true but is completely irrelevant.

In fact the other teams in this league have identified that we aren't capable of playing the killer pass or getting on the end of crosses (At least twice yesterday Rowan had a chance to attack a ball at the back post and didn't). So they just sit deep, absorb the long ball pressure and break at speed. If they don't score from the break, there's a fair chance they'll get a set piece and there's a fair chance they'll be more capable than us in the air.

This problem is escalated when we go behind and our opponents have something to hold onto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lichtielegend
    The 'we had the lions share of possession' chat may be true but is completely irrelevant.

In fact the other teams in this league have identified that we aren't capable of playing the killer pass or getting on the end of crosses (At least twice yesterday Rowan had a chance to attack a ball at the back post and didn't). So they just sit deep, absorb the long ball pressure and break at speed. If they don't score from the break, there's a fair chance they'll get a set piece and there's a fair chance they'll be more capable than us in the air.

This problem is escalated when we go behind and our opponents have something to hold onto.
    I really have to agree. When East Fife beat us early in the season the pattern was established.

What no-one would have predicted though was that Simon Murray would lose his scoring touch as soon as the ink was dry on his transfer. At least we don't have to worry about losing him now!

Fortunate didn't, make trip last night by all accounts. We really have imploded no real centre half is one of the reasons we have struggled, big Marv would have been some signing, how did Elgin and Montrose manage to fund his signing ???. Absolutely right about trav he would have his pick of positions in the back four now but we had a settled back four in 2014 , hindsight is a wonderful thing however he must have known big al was only here till Christmas and look what has happened since one win.,,

Chin up at least we are not to be relegated !!!!
    As previous not so long ago we were clapped of at Easter road.

There's a reason Marvin Andrews is playing for the bottom of the league team, he's too easy to expose.

It's no surprise Elgin's form has improved since getting rid.

A couple of further questions :-

1. Big Aldin, were we offered him for a further loan spell or was it his choice to go back to Hamilton?

2. I am glad a few others has mentioned Big Marv, we all know he has lost pace but as a "stop-gap" he would have been ideal in our central defence as he wins EVERYTHING in the air and a danger at set-pieces also.

3. For half a season we attacked at pace with ball to feet, now we have a slow possession game starting from the back and if that fails a massive hoof up the park to our small strikers, why has this changed.

4. Agree Whatley is a great player who will go on to greater things but he is not a Sheerin or a Kerso who could dictate the game and play the killer pass, Rovers had that last night with their player/manager Darren Young, our nearest player to that is the inconsistent Carrerio.

5. One player I would never have a go at is Simon Murray after what he has done for the club but he does look like he has lost a bit of "natural strength" th

I agree with lichtielegend regarding Marvin Andrews, when Albion Rovers got relegated with a horrendous goals against column guess who was centre half, Elgin and Montrose leaked goals every week when he was playing centre half.
    Interested to know if big Aldin was offered back on loan or not?
    Overall there's a lot of the players who in my opinion would get pass marks but teamwise the upbeat tempo and ability to "get in behind" defences seems to have deserted us. Now, is this down to heavier pitches where the likes of Cannerio finds it harder going?
    There's definitely togetherness from what I can see and a lot of the players demonstrate frustration when moves break down.
    Against Clyde when we were a goal up Clyde had to come out and play, but when we go a goal down the opposition simply shut up shop, and at ANY level of football it's extremely difficult to break down a team who are set up to defend.

So the answer is to score first, simple...[!]128516;

I am under no illusion that the quality of football in Scotland is nothing but poor, but it is still expected to be entertaining.
    The english premiership has been proved over the last year to be an average league but it is entertaining.

The last two mid week games have been spoiled by horrid teams that have had no intention of trying to play football, just stop us from playing...now you can call that clever but Rovers scored in the first 5 minutes then spent 85 minutes wasting time with 10 men behind the ball...it works but it is frustrating to watch.

Now is when Mr Moore earns his money...teams have sussed how to play us he must now find a way to win.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)