+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Red Lichtie Manager

re: New Red Lichtie Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lichtielegend
    I would rule out any manager that has managed 2 or more league clubs in his career.
    That's Jose Mourinho out, then.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC1320
    The AFC Board have to get this appointment correct imo.

I still go with a local person getting the job with my choice a Ray Farningham/John McGlashan combo with George Shields/Keith Gibson coaches on board.

Farningham/McGlashan have bags of experience in the senior game and many think Farningham is one if the best coaches in Scotland.

FACT is Arbroath FC's success have been under local Managers there is no denying that and imo the Manager should be within an hours drive of Gayfield to attend supporters functions and to meet up with the AFC Board anytime required, we have to get the club closer to the town and supporters and the likes of McGlashan is in the town everyday to deal with his property that he rents out so he could visit schools and drum up business sponsorship etc..

Both are vibrant and stay local and importantly they are available and also know the local junior league well.
    what are you on, bring Gibby in as a coach,

ecto every one to their own opinion so I have put my case forward and gave the reasons why so you put your preferred choices forward and give reasons why you would want them.

LL serious question love him or loathe him would have you taken D ick Campbell as Manager for AFC at any time?
    His record outwith the SPL is in the main very good with various clubs, he seems to also bring in great signings (Rab Douglas/S****ie/Hilson etc) he also goes to lots of events in Forfar.

I would rather have someone like that at my club (maybe not the greatest football being played) but gets results and does good things in the local community for the club.

Managers 2+ hours away from the club tend not to be involved with the supporters i.e. Moore never set foot in Tutties or held meetings with the fans etc..

I'll expand on my earlier statement. This is obviously my opinion.

If a manager has managed 2 league clubs and is willing to come to a League 2 club they're likely one of 2 things;

Unemployed or flawed characters.

If they are unemployed, chances are they have failed in their previous appointment.

If they are employed by a league club and they are willing to move to a League 2 club they likely have a lack of ambition or are motivated by the wrong things e.g. money which are not characteristics you want in a club.

4 of the last 10 League 2 titles were won by a manager in their first job with a league team. Darren Young is on the way to make it 5 from 11. When you consider that 3 of those seasons the league was won by day one (Gretna, East Fife and Rangers) it's quite a staggering stat.

It might be a risk taking on a rookie manager who only has experience in the Juniors or Development league but it would appear it may be less of a risk than appointing one of the many managers on the

I think it's really important that we get a locally based coach who is capable of relating to not just the players but the wider fans base as well. The job entails some serious communication skills to keep the press and supporters on side. The firebrand character who gets shouty and sweary won't fit the bill. Most of us would back a manager who calmly explained what he was trying to achieve in the way Paul Sheerin did, even when it wasn't working.

Some good points in the above posts put we have to remember clubs like Arbroath FC should be the "hub" of the community and the Managers like Sheerin/McGlash/Baikie had this down to a tee with the Easter school kids training and fans Q&A's etc which sadly has fallen by the wayside recently hence a LOCAL Manager imo benefits the club both on and off the park.

Just look at the Chairman's comments in todays Arbroath Herald when he admitted telling Moore (2+ hours drive away) over the phone was not the ideal situation, surely having a Manager within an hour of Gayfield is more beneficial to the club in many aspects as we have to get the club/town closer together.

Also I have always said results before style of play any day of the week, if you get both then even better.

Also agree getting Barry Sellars or Kevin Tindal on board would be great with Farningham/McGlash imo.

I think LichtieLegend’s logic is spot on. You realistically want someone in charge who has a different view on how a team should play and has the gusto or ability to change tactics depending on how a team plays against you. I think these sort of managerial qualities are going to come from a younger manager who has something to prove and perhaps has recently stopped playing or is in the twilight of their career. Although it can backfire. I am sure Clyde thought they were going to have one of the best players in the lower divisions but with his injuries that hasn’t worked. Would they still have picked him if they knew he was only going to be in the dugout all season?

AFC1320 mentioned Colin Cameron, who I think could have been a good shout last summer, but looking at the progress this season and their budget why would you opt for a manager whose team is second bottom in the same league as our own. I’ve been far more impressed with Craig Tully and with fewer resources has made E

Quote Originally Posted by AFC1320
    Who would you want?
    Imo we should look for a player at the end of his career at a higher level who is looking to make his first step into management but still willing to get his boots on and play. Ideally as stated above living around the Tayside area but if the right man came along then his home location needn't be an obstacle to appointing him. This will be a very important appointment so let's hope the board get it right as the consequences don't bear thinking about.

I am away to throw in a that could be a good shout, Gary Bollan.

Vastly experienced player.
    Coached youths at Clyde.
    Done excellent and 2 promotions with Livingston.
    Has also done very well at Airdrie.
    Still only 42 and stays in Carnoustie.

I believe he just missed out getting the AFC job when Sheerin got it.

Not much info coming out on the AFC Manager front just now but speaking to a few older AFC Supporters and folk who have been involved in the club the general opinion is they would favour a local manager to get the club more involved with the town.
    I repeat clubs like AFC are the hub of the town and having a Manager going around schools, opening shops, available for fans Q&A's, having Easter schools football coaching courses is great publicity for the club.
    Obviously first and foremost we have to get the correct Manager but surely we can get somebody within Tayside/Fife/Aberdeen to do a good job.
    I would now approach Gary Bollan as he ticks all the boxes, surely he would see AFC as a team on his doorstep which has huge potential to work on and if we have to pay money to prise him away from Airdrie then so be it, my second choice now would be Ray Farningham.
    Unsure if putting Tod in charge just now was a good thing as it must be awkward with him being Moore's boss during the week, but th

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)