+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible scenarios on Sunday

re: Possible scenarios on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeDS
    ... scraping survival in what can only be described as a ****-poor League One.

Why do people say things like this?
    First it was when we were in L2, now in L1.
    Would that mean, should we ever get to the Championship again, that that league is ****-poor too?

I seem to remember SD being recently quoted as saying that League One is now as tough as the Championship used to be. Presumably because of the wealth of foreign talent in the Prem., with a trickle-down effect, causing good British pros maybe now to play a league lower.

There might be some truth in this. Between 1997 and 2002 we quite often bossed games at home, ending up with 3-0 scorelines. Fat chance of that nowadays, even in League One.

This makes it tougher for our Academy lads to get into the side and stay there, leading to a greater reliance on loan players.

No, League One is a tough division, and most teams are very evenly matched. We'll have done well if we manage to stay in it.

That's the attitude that stops us from getting anywhere. We're not where we are because of fantastic teams bettering us. We're where we are because for cumulatively two thirds of the season we've been absolutely awful against teams no better than us and gifted them points far too often. Aside from Preston and MK Dons, nobody has destroyed us because they're that much better than us. Our kickings have come by being defensively awful and toothless up front. We've seen what we are actually capable of, beating teams like Sheffield United and Bristol City, but then gone away to Gillingham, Yeovil, Orient, Colchester, S****horpe and put in abysmal displays throwing away points left right and center. I don't see narrowly scraping ourselves to safety as any sort of success this season. It's a close League One, not a good one, and something needs to be done for our abject failure in it for the majority of this season.

I would say that once again the Alex seem to play almost as well as the opposition, ie well against Brizzle and PNE at home and rank against Oldham, Crawley and Notts County. I've only been going to Gresty Road for 28 years, but it seems to have been that way for most of that time, even when we were in the second tier!

The exceptions would be our second promotion season to the Championship and the last half of SD's first season in charge. I would love to see us take matches by the scruff of the neck and mullah a few next season. Well, a man can dream

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Crew
    - live league table shows us in the bottom 4, until an injury-time winner keeps us up (cue massive mental in the GRE)

You weren't that far off in the end!!
    Coventry behind until the 73rd min and Notts County - wow! what a capitulation in front of 3k travelling fans!
    Goals conceded in the 88th, 93rd and 95th minutes!!
    What a roller-coaster of a day that was!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12