+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1st leg: Queens 1-2 Rangers

1st leg: Queens 1-2 Rangers

Uphill battle but still everything to play for. We are forced to go to Ibrox and attack so makes for a great game.

Arguably a foul for us before Rangers got their free kick for 1st goal and arguably a foul for our goal so that evens itself out. Neither keeper had too much to save apart from goals in this game. We certainly didn't create too many chances inspite of a lot of possession play.

Lets give it everything at Ibrox next week, all is not lost.

re: 1st leg: Queens 1-2 Rangers

Not an ideal result but the tie is still very much alive.Rangers were certainly stronger than their last visit but are far from invincible.I may have my Queens hat on but i thought Danny and Holty were the best two players on the pitch.Having said that Foster escaped Holt for the second and we need to get Danny further up the park to really hurt them.I am struggling to recall when Danny did not beat his man and Fosters cynical challenge was their only answer.
    We must be disciplined at Ibrox and do not really need to go gung-ho.I would probably go with the same team but McShane for me was off his best form and may come under pressure from Miller.
    Still all to play for.

Not a great game.

As I expected, McCall learned from their last visit and made the relevant adjustments.

It's a great compliment to QOS - and the way that we play - that Rangers had to do this.

Obviously, would have been preferable to go there on level terms, or better, but we are far from out of it - next goal is crucial.

Having watched again in slo-mo, I think some refs would have seen Foster's challenge as 2 footed and shown a red.

I know my comments will not prove popular. Are they ever? First of all, I agree with nithvalley that it was not a great game. In my opinion the game simply confirmed that Queens have too many workmen in the team and not enough skilled craftsmen. However, taking into account the gulf between the playing budget of Rangers and the playing budget of Queens it is to their credit that Queens competed as well as they did: but I did not think at any stage in the game that we were going to win. Did Rangers up their game from the last time they played at Palmerston or did Queens play less well? A bit of both, I think; but I felt that Rangers were much more street wise than Queens were. That is not surprising considering the depth of experience in their team. Before the game I thought that Queens would need to take at least a two goal lead to Ibrox to stand any chance of progression in the play-offs. While a one goal deficit does not wholly rule out our chances of making the next round I am no

Have to give McCall credit for his team selection and tactics.
    We struggled to penetrate their blanket defence and they scored with a brilliant free kick.
    It was great to get the equaliser and exert more pressure on them in the second half. I disagree with Cresswell, as I thought we were the more likely team to score next for a spell after that. They did what we have done to others and worked a quick break down the wing and with supporting central runners into the box, the cross had to be stopped - it wasn't and our keeper had no chance.
    Shame we couldn't hold out for the draw but the tie ain't dead and we have scored on both visits to Ibrox. Next goal is MASSIVE...

Quote Originally Posted by nithvalley
    Not a great game.

As I expected, McCall learned from their last visit and made the relevant adjustments.

It's a great compliment to QOS - and the way that we play - that Rangers had to do this.
    I agree entirely Nithvalley that Rangers paid Queen's a tremendous deal of respect with their setup and manner in which they played us. In my opinion there is little between the teams and as such this tie is far from over and could very easily go either way. If we can frustrate them at Ibrox and get the massive crowd beginning to express signs of discontent then we will have a great opportunity to nick a win.
    Mon the South!!!!!

This was a pretty poor game, with two average teams on show on the day, If i had of been watching this on tv i would have switched it off.Can't fault Queens for effort because they worked their socks off as usual.But there was hardly any creativity on show from either side, and our final third play was poor, too many poor final balls and bad decision making.The front two just didn't get the service they deserve and had to come deep looking for the ball. Gers had at least an extra man if not two in central midfield especially the first half. Queens midfield looked better when Millar and Paton came on and both of them showed composure on the ball and picked out good passes. Hopefully at Ibrox we'll get Russell on the left and Carmichael on the right and attack Gers at pace and create chances for the front two. It's only half time and if Queens can score first who knows. C'mon Queeeeeeeeeeens!

Don't think we deserved to lose that game yesterday & only a fool would write us off next weekend .
    We've nothing to lose whilst they have everything to lose .

Quick word on yesterday's attendance . It was given as 5,224 and the capacity at Palmerston is 8,690 .
    Just where on earth we'd fit in another 3,400 fans I don't know . Plenty space on the terrace but nowhere near enough for that !!!

If that attendance figure is indeed correct then it's a real poor turnout from the Queens fans . Under 2,500 fans for such an important game

For what it's worth , I thought there looked far more than what the official figure was

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)