+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ambition

Ambition

Well it looks like the clubs ambition ploy did not last long. A decent player who's contract expired at the end of the season was allowed to go because it looks like the offer made to him did not match the clubs latest offering called ambition, a push for the championship. Dickov had plenty of time to tie this player to the club but seems to have left it till the last minute, must have really made the player feel wanted. This club is being lead by people who talk big and spend small, its going nowhere fast.

re: Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Septus
    Well it looks like the clubs ambition ploy did not last long. A decent player who's contract expired at the end of the season was allowed to go because it looks like the offer made to him did not match the clubs latest offering called ambition, a push for the championship. Dickov had plenty of time to tie this player to the club but seems to have left it till the last minute, must have really made the player feel wanted. This club is being lead by people who talk big and spend small, its going nowhere fast.
    PORTSMOUTH SHOWING THE AMBITION WE ALL WISH ROVERS WOULD SHOW, THEY HAVE OBTAINED A VERY GOOD MANAGER FROM CHESTERFIELD, A VERY TALENTED YOUNG PLAYER FROM US ALREADY . THEY WILL BE PROMOTED NEXT SEASON... ROVERS WILL DO WHAT THEY ALWAYS DO, GIVE PLAYERS TRIALS DURING PRE-SEASON WITH A VIEW TO SIGN ON AUGUST 1st IF NO ONE ELSE SNATCHES THEM UP BEFORE HAND. DON,T HOLD YOUR BREATH THAT THINGS WILL CHANGE

You're such a cynic, Kenco. Most regrettably, I concur.

I keep saying it; all we get is talk from Rovers management but no evidence to support it. Dickov is a mediocre manager and we are getting mediocre players. We keep hearing promises and ambitions of promotions (last season and again this season) but it all soon fizzles out once the players are signed up and they get on the pitch. Dickov said a month ago he was going to concentrate on planning next season's squad but we were still the last in Yorkshire to issue the retained list. Bennett should never have been allowed to slip away to a lower league, so much for commitment from management. Players (our own and the new signings) are already slipping through their fingers. And I gather from the rumour mill that Enda Stevens will be joining him there.

I'm sorry, but if we want promotion, why do we want to be looking for a striker from a lower league One club? Bristol City, MK Dons or Preston maybe, but Port Vale !?

I still see

Could the real problem be a lack of available funds to be able to attract top class players?
    We heard a lot about a Competitive Budget, but there isn't much evidence so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DanumFan
    Could the real problem be a lack of available funds to be able to attract top class players?
    We heard a lot about a Competitive Budget, but there isn't much evidence so far.
    Think you may be right, have been away the last week, came back to find that we appear to be more interested in preseason games and arrangement of. As for comments from the DFP yes we have had good times of late, and our ambition should be to build on it, there is nothing wrong in stretching for the stars, but it will not happen with this lot in charge.

All our troubles are over:

"Doncaster Rovers could be set for a £500,000 windfall, with news arising that they have been left the sum in the will of a London based supporter. The news, reported in the Doncaster Free Press and The Sun, indicate that his estate's solicitors are in the process of selling the man's house for over £500,000, with suggestions that the club have been pledged the money in his will. The supporter, who lived in North London, was a regular at the Keepmoat Stadium. Understandably, any solicitors involved have to respect confidentiality, and Rovers are also not making any comment at this stage". Source: http://www.doncasterrovers.co.uk/news/index.htm

I am afraid we are seeing yet another repetition
    of the clubs long time policy. Wait and see who is left in the bottom of the barrel, sign them and present them with a fanfare of trumpets claiming that several clubs were after them but Rovers have pulled off a marvellous coupe.
    Whilst we should be heartened by the substantial bequest, how much of it will be spent on attracting better players. After 69 years of supporting Rovers I have not purchased a Season Ticket. If our manager thinks the likes of Cedric Evina and Curtis Main bode well for the clubs immediate fortunes perhaps it is time for me to reflect on how the club is being run and with what purpose in mind.
    Meantime, to all you satisfied and loyal supporters GOOD ON YER !

Sitting in Queensland, Australia and feeling utterly frustrated.
    It seems we are in for just another mediocre, also ran, season (if we are lucky). Pompey and Bury are obviously better options than Donny, why is this so ? Come back please JR ! Maybe then we will see a little light of ambition.

Wow, ambition gone mad, exhausted with the lack of news, oh sorry we have a new goalkeeper, and yes I cannot believe how many angles, sorry news links to this story, now been overtaken by the leeds game,feel like I am in heaven, wife just reminded me womens world cup match starting must go and back to reality