+ Visit Birmingham City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Down the pile

Down the pile

best grounds in the championship as judged

Best 2014-15 Championship stadiums, according to BuildingMaterials.co.uk:

1. iPro Stadium, Derby County
    2. New York Stadium, Rotherham United
    3. The Amex, Brighton & Hove Albion
    4. Vicarage Road, Watford
    5. Riverside, Middlesbrough
    6. Madejski Stadium, Reading
    7. Cardiff City Stadium, Cardiff City
    8. The Valley, Charlton Athletic
    9. Elland Road, Leeds United
    10. Molineux, Wolverhampton Wanderers
    11. City Ground, Nottingham Forest
    12. Craven Cottage, Fulham
    13. Goldsands Stadium, Bournemouth
    14. Carrow Road, Norwich City
    15. St Andrew's, Birmingham City
    16. Ewood Park, Blackburn Rovers
    17. Macron Stadium, Bolton Wanderers
    18. Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
    19. John Smith's Stadium, Huddersfield Town
    20. Portman Road, Ipswich Town
    21. Hillsborough, Sheffield Wednesday
    22. The Den, Millwall
    23. Griffin Park, Brentford
    24. DW Stadium, Wigan Athletic

looks like wigan is a dodgy place to sit only joking , I could have put under the pile only j

re: Down the pile

If we don't get new owners soon the main stand will become a grade 2 listed building. The Blues Trust has done a brilliant job in that they have got Stan's classified of "community value" so that there has to be a consultation period if BIHL decide to sell the stadium.
    Rg

This is silly, what are the criteria?

Some of the clubs listed (Brghton, Middlesbrough, Wolves, Rotherham, Reading, Wigan, Derby) had realky crappy old grounds so no doubt they are pleased but why?

In recent years aKK they have sold their old grounds to developers and built shiny new stadiums. Just what Gollyvan wanted to do with St. Andrews and move to Saltley. When they couldn't get planning permission they lost interest in Blues and sold out. They have now sold West Ham's Boleyn ground, for a fortune, and are renting the Olympic stadium, where they will move for the 2016/2017 season.
    Most of these stadiums are out of town and pretty soulless. Builders World, who ever they are, clearly favour these new stadiums cos they have made lots of dosh out of building them.
    Rg

That's a shame because it does seem to be possible to re-build grounds on the same spot - based on the TV The Hawthorns & Molineux are pretty different from 1972 but they were certainly "atmospheric" in those days. When Blues were away we would also sometimes go and see Coventry or Walsall as well as Wolves and that was fun too - apart from the fact that Highfield Road seemed to have been constructed to guarantee your view of at least one penalty area was obscured by a huge metal pole supporting the roof of the stand - but that ground and Sadlers Road aren't used anymore either. When my uncle was sick my Aunty's nephew would take me to see Albion the crowd at The Hawthorns was good natured like Coventry, even though both sides struggled that year and I think Albion may have been relegated. Wolves had a good team but the atmosphere was pretty poisonous. We even followed Albion to Maine Road where they were thrashed as Man City had a tremendous team much to the delight of the very noi

Rotherham and Brightons ground are just too small for championshi .pStans should be about 6/7 on that list
    KRO

Bit meaningless really.
    Perhaps there are some that like the off the shelf/flat pack new stadia but I personally find places like Derby and Wolves to be eyestingingly shoite and souless. Unless you like brightly painted girders that is.
    Give me an Ashton gate surrounded by terraced streets any day - dare I say it even rat hole park above places like the iPro.

KRO

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)