+ Visit Sunderland FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It's not enough, is it?

It's not enough, is it?

Got to admit, I'm already concerned about the season ahead.

All the noise about a war chest, all the noise about bringing in all the right players, quality players.

When I look at what we've done so far in the transfer window, we've improved it, but nowhere near enough.

Other teams are outspending us and bringing in a better level of quality. Question marks on how successful Matthews, Coates and Kaboul will be. We already had Coates, Matthews an unknown quantity and Kaboul has his form and fitness issues.

There's no doubting the quality of Lens, but I can't help but see the club as unorganised mess in the transfer market yet again.

Our biggest issue last season was creating chances and scoring goals. Our defense, where needed improving, wasn't actually too bad for most of the season.

This most recent noise about having to sell before we spend to reduce the wage bill just smacks of Sunderland.

We knew our targets, we knew what was needed, we knew our current wage bill, but onl

re: It's not enough, is it?

We haven't kicked a ball yet and the window is still open...no panic yet from me.

I have a lot of empathy with JJ on this. On past record, not a lot more is likely to happen.It's true that so far, the quality has not improved significantly overall. After several years, we have not resolved the creative CM role, and if it doesn't get sorted this time, we have to conclude that the DoF and the rest of the board are incompetent.

I agree that we need a another decent striker. Any two of Graham, Wickham and Fletcher can go as far as I am concerned.

Agree with LT, there's certainly nothing to panic about.. I trust Dick to know what he is doing and to do the best for the club.. Still plenty of time for one or two out and in..

As for the mags, I don't really think they are a great example of spending.. It's not like they are signing Andy Cole and Les Ferdinand any more..

The players they are signing could go either way.. They are paying over the odds for the chance they will come good. If they do then it will be money well spend, but it's the gamble you take. Can't say I'm particularly in awe of any of their signings tbh..

Quote Originally Posted by bigbigBob
    Agree with LT, there's certainly nothing to panic about.. I trust Dick to know what he is doing and to do the best for the club.. Still plenty of time for one or two out and in..

As for the mags, I don't really think they are a great example of spending.. It's not like they are signing Andy Cole and Les Ferdinand any more..

The players they are signing could go either way.. They are paying over the odds for the chance they will come good. If they do then it will be money well spend, but it's the gamble you take. Can't say I'm particularly in awe of any of their signings tbh..
    Sh1t .. me brother just hijacked me computer and signed in as BigBigBob .. .. ..

I think we'll be ok, Lens is an outstanding signing.

Kaboul has plenty of premier league experience, Coates looked decent towards to end of the season. On top of who we have, get rid of the like of Bridcutt etc.. Bring in a decent half decent striker.

People are going on about a creative midfielder, Cattermole bossed the midfield! We've also got Larsson for me was an un-sung hero! And if Rodwell can find his Everton form again, he'd be like a new signing.

We haven't seen the best of Giaccherini yet, I think that lad if he stays fit will be top player.

One or two in's and outs we will be a half decent side. To be fair we need to walk before we can run, we not Newcastle and expect to just miss relegation then win the league the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by Lardy
    I think we'll be ok, Lens is an outstanding signing.

Kaboul has plenty of premier league experience, Coates looked decent towards to end of the season. On top of who we have, get rid of the like of Bridcutt etc.. Bring in a decent half decent striker.

People are going on about a creative midfielder, Cattermole bossed the midfield! We've also got Larsson for me was an un-sung hero! And if Rodwell can find his Everton form again, he'd be like a new signing.

We haven't seen the best of Giaccherini yet, I think that lad if he stays fit will be top player.

One or two in's and outs we will be a half decent side. To be fair we need to walk before we can run, we not Newcastle and expect to just miss relegation then win the league the following season.
    well agree .. especially the bit about the mags "they've got a stronger squad that Spurs", some will have you know .. ..

Well so far we`ve got Four in and Two out and so that must make us stronger than last season whichever way you look at it, especially when you consider One of the Outs hardly even kicked a ball for us (Ba) and the other being Vergini...

Cant agree however with Lardy`s we have to Walk before we can Run statement...We`re going into our Ninth successive Premier League season...

How long are we gonna be Walking?...We need to up the Pace a bit if we want to be taken seriously as a Force to be reckoned with...

Im still very hopeful we will though!

But we've had a flow of ****e managers, Di Canio got some ****e in as well as Poyet. To be fair to Short he's admitted he's not a football minded guy that's why he leaves it to the manager who should be a football minded guy!

Not many chairmen are to be honest.

re: 're: It's not enough, is it?'

Right enough Ellis isnt a Football minded Guy but thats why he appointed a Director of Football, we cant just blame s hite Managers when their hands have been tied over who is signed and who isnt and sometimes the D-O-Fs Players arent always the Managers Cup of Tea...

Remember Di Fanti and how poor he was!