+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What it the real problem with The Manager?

What it the real problem with The Manager?

Having spent many years expressing my own opinion on the performances of the team and its many managers via the unofficial AFC site which I ran (reporting on it all from the bottom of the League with TC and the bad days of JW, to the glory days of DB and PS along with the negative tactics of JM etc. etc), I experienced disagreement with my views and my negativity from fans, phone calls fro former assistant manages upset with content on the site, and challenges from players about what I had said about them. I must admit there was never the extent of bile which is on this site about managers, supporters and board.

The only negativity I heard about the manager at my only visit to Gayfield this season was about the treatment of a player he signed and then released. There must be more problems with him, apart from us being in the bottom half of the league. I am sure the many fans who are in the dark would like to know why there is so much hate and bile directed towards the manager. Plea

re: What it the real problem with The Manager?

The problem with the manager for me, and this is only one point of view, comes down to the old adage that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. The flip side is that if it is broke then do something about it to fix it.
    The dreadful start to the season proved that something needed fixing, but nothing seemed to be being done to fix it. The same problems of losing early goals and not scoring cropped up game after game. No changes to personnel or tactics were made so there was no improvement. It seemed to be that if things were left alone long enough something might happen and surprisingly it did, we got a few results, but slipped into the bad old ways again and nothing seemed to be done, from what I could see from the terraces.
    We have now won a couple of back to back games and the general opinion seems to be that we will get another win on Saturday and move on up the table, showing that all the manager's doubters will be proved wrong. But I remember when the Shire came to Gayfield

It's a good question, and good to see some well informed comments and to see HL on the forum.

For me it's about a season where we expected to do well and instead have had a very disappointing start. TL was not a popular choice and tainted by his time as assistant. Early success was based on strong defence which subsequently crumbled when Hay left. Things are looking better again.

The real reason that the Manager gets the full force of the fans' ire is that he is the one factor that can change. You can't sack the team or the board. It could be Mourinho or Campbell, the logic is the same. The manager has to be the fall guy. It's not a logic I subscribe to. Remember Man United came within a game of sacking Alex Ferguson at the start of his tenure.

I was disappointed not to see HL at the Brora game. Hope all is well. Merry Xmas. C'mon the Lichties!

Strong defence, Hay, did he not play in the games against Elgin and Montrose when we shipped SIX? Lumsden should never have been given the job beyond the end of last season, and at that time we should have applied for applicants for the position and he would have had the opportunity to apply

I was somewhat amazed to see this posting considering what has been said already on here and P&B,to repeat he has been in charge since Moore left and regrettably he has not solved the problem of playing good consistent football.For me and many others he is not the man for the job.There is just no faith and belief in the man.
    Prior to the cup-tie with Cowden fans were posting that we were not expecting too beat them. F.F.S Cowden?
    Lets go back over several seasons,1990s Morton came to Gayfield when they were a league above us and were soundly beaten 3-0,then we had a 1-1 draw with Motherwell and likewise Celtic then there was last season when we gave Hibs a good run for their money,why, because there was belief on and off the terracings but this has now evaporated.
    I suppose I go on but whats the point.If anyone feels I have offended them well I apoligise.

Hate and bile? Woah just you settle down, people have been critical but there's none of that.

And one word can answer your question, results.

Simple as that, in the same way that any fan (players and managers are all fans of clubs as well remember!) of any club would be moaning about the manager if they had the results we have had. That's it.

Fans are fickle, I am fickle. I've been moaning when it's been dreadful, I've calmed down now we have had a few good results, I'll be happy if we get Ryan etc signed, I'll be happy if we win our next 2, and I'll be delighted with things if we achieve our goal of promotion.

As long as results (the only thing that matters) are good, nobody will be complaining. Simple as that.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)