+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Fit You Reading 3

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I'll start a new thread and speak to masel then.
    Last fiction I read was the Black Dahlia trilogy by James Ellroy, though quite a bit of them are "non-fiction like" in places to make you wonder if they're based on fact

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post

Do none of you boys actually read fiction?

I can't do fiction. Tried it but seem to lose interest. The last full fiction book I read was Trainspotting and that was 10+ years ago.

Reading non-fiction I sometimes I get right into it and imagine I was there. That's what readings supposed to be about. I just don't get that from fiction

I read the occasional biography.

Dave Hill's (of Slade) was pretty formulaic and safe.

Chrissie Hynde's just got beyond the two deaths of her Pretenders' colleagues, and concentrated on a pretty ****ed-up adolescence.

The two books aboot George Martin were gold, but obviously dried up a bit after 1970.

Morrice The Butcher's Brither was a bit of a laugh, if you like that sort of thing, and I suspect that some of it might be fictional.

The Rory Gallagher biog's the best yet, despite the previous attempts being fanboy pish.

Ian Marchant's Parallel Lines - meh.

Ben Watt's Romany and Tom was ace. His old man was a well-known jazz trumpeter, and when they moved to a hoose with statuettes of cherubs blowing horns as gatepost decorations, Tom "painted them black to make them look like Dizzy Gillespie".

The Al Green biog Soul Survicor was pretty insightful, mostly as to what a **** he can be.

etc

Name:  tdtsf.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  13.9 KB

Just finished this. Good read.Ten short stories about ten significant moments/periods in Scottish fitba by ten writers

John Cairney - Queens Parks first defeat ever (after 9 and a bit years unbeaten)
    Hugh MacDonald - 1909 Scottish Cup riot/no award
    Frank Gilfeather - Wembley Wizards 1928
    Matt Vallance - Motherwell league win 1932
    Terrence Murray - Scotland at World Cup 1954
    Ronnie Esplin - England 9-3 Scotland 1961
    Graham McColl - Allys Army 1978
    Rob Robertson - Gothenburg 1983
    Stephen McGowan - Jock Steins death at Ninian Park 1985
    Alan Pattullo - Berti Vogts reign

Its in chronological almost order but the morons who printed have put Steins death before Gothenburg. Eejits

Name:  ayr.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  11.3 KB

Quite a decent read. Pennies off of ebay

Two things to take from it

We loved giving Ayr a do in in the first half of the 1900s

R*****s 1872-2012 didn't half get preferential treatment v Ayr over the years. Referees from Ibrox reffing games, referees from govan reffing games. John Greig haymakering a boy and the boy being booked for it. Penalties that weren't pens. But I suppose every team was on the receiving end throughout the ages

Name:  outsider.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  13.7 KB

Decent read this. By the same guy as "Behind the Curtain" and "Inventing the Pyramid" which are both also excellent

This is the history of keepers with bits about certain keepers dating back to the start of fitba.

You will get it for pennies

Name:  wfws.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  9.9 KB

richt mannies playing richt mannies fitba

Good read

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Name:  ayr.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  11.3 KB

Quite a decent read. Pennies off of ebay

Two things to take from it

We loved giving Ayr a do in in the first half of the 1900s

R*****s 1872-2012 didn't half get preferential treatment v Ayr over the years. Referees from Ibrox reffing games, referees from govan reffing games. John Greig haymakering a boy and the boy being booked for it. Penalties that weren't pens. But I suppose every team was on the receiving end throughout the ages
    Just went to buy that off Amazon for her mum. £17.99!? You could buy them a striker for that

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Just went to buy that off Amazon for her mum. £17.99!? You could buy them a striker for that
    Surely Eddie Annand was worth at least £20

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Surely Eddie Annand was worth at least £20
    Which would, by comparison, set Scott McKenna's value at .... errr ... fit? ... £16.29?

Page 58 of 71 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast