+ Visit Charlton Athletic FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Charlton in turmoil......

Charlton in turmoil......

whats going on Valley ? What exactly is your owner doing to upset your fans that they are demonstrating.

As your nearest neighbours ( the Lions) we take a keen interest in your shenanigans, especially as you may join us next season in Lge 1.

re: Charlton in turmoil......

Hello Claw84

It's all to do with the new owner bringing in managers from Belgium or elsewhere as part of the Duchatelet network without experience of the Championship (5 since 2014), ditto with players from abroad who lack championship experience as well as the league position we're in and some poor defeats the last two we were thumped 5-0 and 6-0.

I am not one of the protesters myself and wish they'd give Jose Riga a chance to get on with it :/ as the negativity is hardly helping the players; Riga did save Charlton from relegation last time out after replacing Chris Powell but it will be much harder for him this time. Still he made a good start with the 1-1 draw against Blackburn on Saturday so there is some slim hope but it depends on getting a few good wins now, some reinforcements and instilling some confidence in the players.

How are things at Millwall? It looks like you could at least make the play-offs now you're on a good run of form? It would be good to see both clu

Your right Valley, it would be great if we were both back in the championship but even if it were league 1 I always look forward to our derby matches.

Why do foreign owners buy English clubs, especially when they know nothing of the game, in most cases I believe it has to be money, but your owner is going to lose unless he turns things around.

Two that spring to mind are Blackburn, bought by Indian chicken farmers, and Leeds whose owner is barred at the present time from his club. and has a criminal record. The FA are not doing their job.

That's true Claw although not all foreign owners are bad and Berylson at Millwall is a case in point; the investment they put into clubs is easily overlooked.

I think the new Belgian owners at Charlton have made bad mistakes but have their hearts in the right place. After a string of managers who didn't work out they returned to Riga to turn things round and with his second game in charge marked a good win against Rotherham today.

They now need to follow this up with recruiting the right players but I agree with you about inappropriate vetting of some foreign owner appointments and what this can lead to.