+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reasons for optimism?

re: Reasons for optimism?

The worrying thing is not so much Oldham's 2 games in hand; it's that we've forgotten how to win, how to score and (dare I say it) even how to draw. I know there are are 3 types of lie - lies, damned lies and statistics - but statistics show that we have not won in 11 games (3 draws), have scored 1 goal in the last 6 and 3 goals in the last 9.... Brilliant idea to get God to help us SilverTop, I suggest we play him as a striker....

Two questions for the statisticians among us:

How many times this season have we been the first to score?
    How many times have the opposition opened the scoring in the first quarter of an hour?

I took up the challenge and went back over my statistics for the 36 league matches played so far.

Rovers first to score = 9 (time in brackets)
    29 Aug 15 Coppinger (17) v Fleetwood
    3 Oct 15 Anderson (35) v Barnsley
    20 Oct 15 Coppinger (14) v Shrewsbury
    31 Oct 15 Grant (41) v Colchester
    14 Nov 15 Williams (5) v Blackpool
    24 Nov 15 Tysons (62) v Chesterfield
    19 Dec 15 Williams (4) v Burton
    26 Dec 15 Williams (12) v Oldham
    2 Jan 16 Williams (44) v Southend

Opposition score in 15 minutes = 8 (time in brackets)
    17 Oct 15 Bradford (1)
    24 Oct 15 Peterborough (9)
    27 Oct 15 Millwall (5 & 8 - twice)
    16 Jan 16 Gillingham (9)
    26 Jan 16 Port Vale (6)
    27 Feb 16 Millwall (6)
    8 Mar 16 S****horpe (7)
    12 Mar 16 Bradford (7)

I haven't double checked them, but I think they are accurate.

Ferguson says we need 13 points to the end of the season to be safe.

We only got 2 points from the last 10 games, so 13 points from the next 10 games is not going to happen with the same players!

We missed our chance at Christmas, when we offloaded several players, to bring in some good players to make a difference. The most likely outcome now is that one of Doncaster, Blackpool or Oldham will escape the drop and my money is on Oldham based on games in hand and current form. I suspect we are going to end up hoping other teams will do worse than we do to keep us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldron40
    I took up the challenge and went back over my statistics for the 36 league matches played so far.

Rovers first to score = 9 (time in brackets)
    29 Aug 15 Coppinger (17) v Fleetwood
    3 Oct 15 Anderson (35) v Barnsley
    20 Oct 15 Coppinger (14) v Shrewsbury
    31 Oct 15 Grant (41) v Colchester
    14 Nov 15 Williams (5) v Blackpool
    24 Nov 15 Tysons (62) v Chesterfield
    19 Dec 15 Williams (4) v Burton
    26 Dec 15 Williams (12) v Oldham
    2 Jan 16 Williams (44) v Southend

Opposition score in 15 minutes = 8 (time in brackets)
    17 Oct 15 Bradford (1)
    24 Oct 15 Peterborough (9)
    27 Oct 15 Millwall (5 & 8 - twice)
    16 Jan 16 Gillingham (9)
    26 Jan 16 Port Vale (6)
    27 Feb 16 Millwall (6)
    8 Mar 16 S****horpe (7)
    12 Mar 16 Bradford (7)

I haven't double checked them, but I think they are accurate.
    Thanks Waldron! Meaning we've given teams a goal start in the first ten minutes of the game in roughly a quarter of the matches played, and 5

So Oldham put another nail in our coffin last night. They are now equal with us on points and just one goal difference apart.

Sometimes I find it hard to understand some of Ferguson's comments reported in the press. Today for example "Ferguson considers sacrificing attacking principles". What attacking principles? 11 League matches without a win. Only 7 goals in those 11 matches. And some matches where we don't even get a single shot on target. A defensive approach isn't going to score goals or win sufficient points to prevent other teams overtaking us. Only yesterday he was talking about needing 13 points to be safe.

Reasons for optimism ? Obviously not. Posh saw to that, and without 6 points from the next 2 games we will be playing in League Two next season.

Peterborough was yet another missed opportunity (the biggest in recent weeks, considering that their present form is almost as bad as ours). However, there is just a slight chance we might get 6 points from the next 2 games SilverTop (provided God comes back from injury)

Losing Grant and Gooch just adds to the misery. Ferguson says he is looking to bring in a striker. Hopefully it will be a real striker, and not just someone "who can play up front". It seems a long time since we had one of those (Billy Sharp?). Willliams hasn't scored since 16 Jan and in the meantime (11 matches) we have scored 5 goals - only two of them by forwards.

A few other League statistics:-
    The last match we won was on 2 Jan.
    The last home match we won was 12 Dec
    We haven't won the last 12 matches
    We only have 3 points from those 12 matches

On recent performance, 6 points would be a miracle.

Well shall I state the obvious ? We not we are going down to League Two !! I said we need 6 points from Colchester and Blackpool and we got HAMMERED by Colchester and Blackpool are an even better team. Fergie has played all his cards and options and no matter what he tries it does not work. we are no better than with ****ov still here. It's not a criticism, rant or moan, just a clear statement of the obvious and we need to start considering how being in League Two will affect us next season. Less fans, lower budget, less enthusiasm ....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast