+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

re: Should Steve Davis be our Manager next season?

Facts speak for themselves, not enough wins this season.Players not playing to there maximum and poor team section. Does not matter what we fans say nothing will change unless he people in the board room want it to change and they have there own agenda that we know nothing of.

In the absence of an obvious successor at this time I would say Yes he probably should be allowed to take these players into the league below and see if they can develop there instead. It worked for Dario in the past and you can argue all day long that the players were better then. At the end of the day today's youngsters are getting the very best of training facilities and ought to be ready to play Professional football in the lowest league tier. If we manage to keep Inman and Haber at the club we have 2 footballers who will benefit greatly in the league below. The likes of Jones, Guthrie and Cooper can only get better. Its obvious we need to strengthen, especially in both full back positions. I've never been convinced by Turton at right back and Bakayogo has got a lot to prove before handing a contract. Also we need a player who will take up the goal scoring responsibility from the start of the season. Our recruitment needs to be shrewd and better than before.

I'm keeping an

We are unlikely to keep either Inman or Haber. My guess is we will want Inman but won't be able to afford him and we won't want Haber but he will want to stay

Not very often I disagree with you Timmy, but, I think we would want him ( Haber) to stay, and he will want away.

Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour. It wouldn't matter if he had been scoring for 2 seasons. But he hasn't really. I may be wrong. It has been known. Once, I think it was ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58
    Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour.

I like Haber - and I'd keep him, despite all of his frailties.
    He's the nearest thing we have to a proper target man and he does try to bring others into the game with his hold-up play. From what I have seen of him in L1, he would surely be an asset in L2.

Not resigned to L2 yet though - although, if we don't win today against a team who haven't won in 4 and, last 2 seasons aside, a place where we have had a great record in recent years, then I will be.

Firstly, I hope we're not thinking Gillingham will role over today. Definitely not going to happen this season. If we did manage to win today, we are still miles behind. Our season has been defined by all the occasions when we have been ahead in a game and not managed to stay in front, simple as that. Perhaps in the past we have been so far ahead that we've managed to keep the teams at bay.

Secondly if we do lose Haber and Inman then who do we find to replace them? Losing a centre forward with power is hard to do at any level especially the fourth division. We could not afford to replace Inman and we won't attract a player with his talent at that level nowadays. so, why not spend any money wasted on recruiting new players on getting them two to sign a new one year deal?

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe
    Thanks for that Jimmy. I don't dislike him, but I don't think he scores enough goals for us. And the fact that he keeps swanning off to Canada isn't in his favour.

I like Haber - and I'd keep him, despite all of his frailties.
    He's the nearest thing we have to a proper target man and he does try to bring others into the game with his hold-up play. From what I have seen of him in L1, he would surely be an asset in L2.

Not resigned to L2 yet though - although, if we don't win today against a team who haven't won in 4 and, last 2 seasons aside, a place where we have had a great record in recent years, then I will be.[/quote]

I like Haber too - but only when he plays in a 2. Without someone with him he becomes easily isolated and a disconsolate figure, but with a strike partner I think many fans underestimate his influence. He's not a heart-on-the-sleeve kind of player but he

I don't foam at the mouth about Davis but I do wonder now whether there's anything more he can do for the club? There have been a few times when there has has cleaely been no plan B. Also, a large number of substitutions have been like-for-like rather than attempting to change approach. Today was a clear example of this. Selection was odd anyway. In recent games both Turton and Guthrie have had great games in their preferred positions BUT today they were put back in their non-preferred positions and we just let Gillingham have loads of space to attack us. We should keep Guthrie at centre back as one of three and Turton either central midfield in a line of 5 or as a deep-lying midfier behind a four.That would mean we could play cooper and Bakayogo wide. With turton lying deep, we could choose Bingham instead of Fox as he cab be positive in supporting the forwards. at the moment there is no way Davis will be sacked and even if he was
    Anyway, nothing would change in terms of approach. De

Is it really only ONE win in the last 16 matches?

Good God and we are debating whether SD should still be our manager NEXT season? He must know he is the luckiest manager ever after the last THREE seasons? Some managers get sacked after 6 games? And Steve has had over 100 and counting? Is that a strength or weakness of the club? Depends on your POV?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast