+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/T Ali V Cooper, 50th Anniversary

O/T Ali V Cooper, 50th Anniversary

Great piece from the Daily Mail, wonderful photos.

- view external link

re: O/T Ali V Cooper, 50th Anniversary

Thanks for that Woody, great article.

Cooper, bless him, was an average heavyweight but he had the heart of a lion.
    In the first fight Clay got lucky, simple as. He was in serious trouble after a Cooper hook, or 'ammer, and if the punch was a minute earlier history may well have been rewritten, for a short time anyway.
    In that fight and the rematch Clay/Ali continued to pepper Cooper's face with stinging jabs which opened up Cooper's fragile scar tissue all too easily. For medical reasons I know little about, Henry Cooper could BLEED. Profusely. A nauseous Clay stated he could even hear Cooper bleed.

Henry Cooper was a model professional and a gentleman, adored and loved by the British public and rightly so. When Joe Bugner beat him at the end of his career, Bugner became the villain of British boxing for beating Our 'Enery but Bugner went the distance with Ali twice and also fought Joe Frazier, losing on a decision again. Cooper was revered but Bugner was disliked, maybe due t

I thought Ali was great, so were the Beatles, I've seen supersonic jet liners to the World wide web , all this impacts me in one way,it's history!!
    Ali steps into a ring today he's toast pretty quick!

Ali is a quality human being. He retired to Berrien Spring, Michigan which is a small town on the west side of the state of about 2000 people. That is where my aunt and cousins live. My cousins played baseball with Ali's son growing up. He would go to games and try to make sure he wasn't the one getting all the attention. Would do a lot for all the kids playing in the local little league. He still has a home there, but I don't think he lives there year round anymore.

Joe Bugner held the English Schools Junior Boys (u15) Discus record for many years before the weight of the Discus changed and a new record established. He was a big unit as a schoolboy.

I saw Henry Cooper in Wolvo one evening back in the sixties. I had come out of the Tatton Sykes at the bottom of Lichfield street and he was on the other side of the road walking towards the town center. I don't know if the guy he was with was particularly small but Henry looked truly bl@@dy enormous. Anyway shouted "awright Henry" and got a thumbs up. Great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom
    Joe Bugner held the English Schools Junior Boys (u15) Discus record for many years before the weight of the Discus changed and a new record established. He was a big unit as a schoolboy.
    Joe might have been good at throwing the discus, but only our 'Enry could throw the 'Ammer!

Oh get stuffed then, at least I got the ball past George Best which is summat you lot never managed!!!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)