+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: England : get your opinion in before the game

England : get your opinion in before the game

It's looking like 6 changes for us, with Roy resting both full backs, Rooney, Kane sterling and alli lose out too. With Henderson Bertrand clyne wilshere sturridge and vardy coming in.

Id like to get people's opinion on this before the game as hindsight is always 20:20. Getting top spot is hugely important, is this a gamble worth taking to rest legs considering we've had 3 games in 9 days but we won't play again till Saturday (if we qualify). Personally I think it all makes sense bar Rooney. Poch rotates full backs and our boys have done plenty of running. Alli, Kane and sterling have been poor, alli's assist aside. All have had tough seasons, physically or mentally. Rooney though needs playing time still iespecially in a new position for England, plus we'll need his experience.

The main point of this thread though is to pin people's side of the fence down before the match so they can't be a know it all after (unless of course they're right).

So I'll go first, i think its a brave and correct decision from Roy, and I just hope Rooney comes on early doors if we're struggling. Either way it's a hell of a gamble and shows a right pair of balls.

Good question. Everyone is wiser in hindsight!

For starters, I think the Sterling and Kane replacements would have been expected after the impact of the half time substitutions in the last match, so those will not technically be changes, simply a continuation of the last 45 minutes. I agree Rooney is the most significant if he's not starting but I guess that if there is a match to rest a few legs then this is the only chance. Can't start doing it in the knockout games.

It's a squad competition, it has to be. And just because players aren't in the starting line up for the first two games doesn't mean they can't come in and perform just as well, if not better - as Sturridge and Varney proved. So yes, I can see it makes some sense, especially with the work rate from those full backs which seems so important to how England go forward. The issue is really down to how the players are, physically. Woy has a better insight into it than we do.

The squad has players who are more than capable of doing enough on the day and although Slovakia are no push overs, they're not one of the top sides. If they were then I'd be surprised at some of the changes.

The right move IMO, also I would like us to find a replacement for Sterling who I think has no end product, thought our best game with this bunch was against Germany 2-3. We had no Sterling and Rooney and coped really well. I think this squad of England players are up there with the best! I only see Sterling as a weakness in the squad so have no worries chopping and changing!. I'm behind Roy and the boys all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramondo View Post
    Good question. Everyone is wiser in hindsight!

For starters, I think the Sterling and Kane replacements would have been expected after the impact of the half time substitutions in the last match, so those will not technically be changes, simply a continuation of the last 45 minutes. I agree Rooney is the most significant if he's not starting but I guess that if there is a match to rest a few legs then this is the only chance. Can't start doing it in the knockout games.

It's a squad competition, it has to be. And just because players aren't in the starting line up for the first two games doesn't mean they can't come in and perform just as well, if not better - as Sturridge and Varney proved. So yes, I can see it makes some sense, especially with the work rate from those full backs which seems so important to how England go forward. The issue is really down to how the players are, physically. Woy has a better insight into it than we do.

The squad has players who are more than capable of doing enough on the day and although Slovakia are no push overs, they're not one of the top sides. If they were then I'd be surprised at some of the changes.
    Absolutely no idea what the OP says but I am guessing from the response, it is about Woy resting players..
    My views on this are well known, big mistake, next game if we win is next Sat so should be no tired issues.
    Not a fan of Woy and I just hope he does not muck this up with his poor decisions.
    This exciting young team has fallen into his lap, young hungry and a backbone from one team... All he needs to do is let them play and express themselves.. He got out of jail on Thursday after picking a player who had not featured for his club side for much of last season and absolutely no form whatsoever. Still he picks him and then has to make panic subs in order to recover the situation.
    He picked Kane and that did not work, no problem there, he was in form but just had a couple of off days.. That's football, that's why we have a manager.

It is ***** we win this group. Why take the risk?
    Injuries / niggles, no problem, rest them.. That is why you have a squad.

Just to add, this team does not play together week in week out, so surely you take every opportunity to give them game time...
    I am hearing 6 changes... For me just 2. Sterling and Kane.
    We could end up with Spain in the next round if that goes wrong. The Aresenal issue.. Qualify and then go out as they get Barca in the next round.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryRam View Post
    Absolutely no idea what the OP says but I am guessing from the response, it is about Woy resting players..
    My views on this are well known, big mistake, next game if we win is next Sat so should be no tired issues.
    Not a fan of Woy and I just hope he does not muck this up with his poor decisions.
    This exciting young team has fallen into his lap, young hungry and a backbone from one team... All he needs to do is let them play and express themselves.. He got out of jail on Thursday after picking a player who had not featured for his club side for much of last season and absolutely no form whatsoever. Still he picks him and then has to make panic subs in order to recover the situation.
    He picked Kane and that did not work, no problem there, he was in form but just had a couple of off days.. That's football, that's why we have a manager.

It is ***** we win this group. Why take the risk?
    Injuries / niggles, no problem, rest them.. That is why you have a squad.
    'No idea what the OP says'...why, it's a decent question, perfectly well put isn't it?
    Don't understand that bit but, while I'm not an enormous fan of RH either, I think he's done well. Not sure the team has 'fallen into his lap'...he has had to make the selections after all. Maybe he's been blessed by who is currently available but equally with a tad more luck we'd already have qualified. In the circumstances he deserves to be trusted and imo his decisions so far have made sense. We can all be wise after the event.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-06-2016 at 07:42 AM.

I dont think it matters who we get in the next round, so lets rest up. We will have to beat a few good teams to get anywhere and/or win it so may as well start playing them asap. The only prize is winning: nothing for making the quarters or semis, so lets start knocking out the fancied teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    'No idea what the OP says'...why, it's a decent question, perfectly well put isn't it?
    Don't understand that bit but, while I'm not an enormous fan of RH either, I think he's done well. Not sure the team has 'fallen into his lap'...he has had to make the selections after all. Maybe he's been blessed by who is currently available but equally with a tad more luck we'd already have qualified. In the circumstances he deserves to be trusted and imo his decisions so far have made sense. We can all be wise after the event.

He means he has me on ignore anag. It's not something I'd ever do for this reason. Plenty on here do my head in but you're leaving yourself in the dark for potentially interesting discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    If a poster is on my ignore list I cannot see it unless someone quotes it(please don't) The OP meets that criteria.
    Whatever happens the argument will not be answered, so to an extent it's irrelevant. There will be times when it works and when it does not.

Except in the FA Cup eh Angry 👅

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)