+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 235 of 922 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335735 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,350 of 9219

Thread: OT. The futures Bright, the Futures Brexit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    thats far too simplistic, people aren't just a drain on the state when they reach 65! what's needed to pay the pensions isn't immigrants its money, and that can be generated in many ways - taxes for a start
    Yes exactly, who is going to pay the taxes? Who is going to fill the job vacancies? No over 65's aren't a drain on the state though 50% of welfare benefits go to over 65's and they take a large proportion of the NHs budget as well.

How is that simplistic to you saying 2 million is too many???

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Yes exactly, who is going to pay the taxes? Who is going to fill the job vacancies? No over 65's aren't a drain on the state though 50% of welfare benefits go to over 65's and they take a large proportion of the NHs budget as well.

How is that simplistic to you saying 2 million is too many???
    Yes I'm afraid it is, it's a matter of Maths again, that two million won't magically not get older so the burden will become even greater, and greater, and greater, it will become like a snowball rolling downhill. I would happily pay an extra penny in the pound in nic to contribute to an old age welfare system designed to keep me and my dependants safe and well in their old age

And you accuse me of being simplistic! The fact is that its a complex calculation and your maths seems to ignore a number of factors.

How do you know an extra 1p or 2p or whatever will be enough to provide the services required for pensioners?

If you stop immigration and thereby with the current birth rate increase the proportion of older to younger people in the population, WHO is going to be providing these services that you are quite happy to pay for?

How do you know that the majority of immigrants are going to stay and spend their old age here? Current indications are that over 50% actually return home.

You have answered how if there is nobody to fill the job vacancies (not those that provide caring/health services) and therefore economic out put declines as a result the taxation gap is going to be filled, this is in addition to the additional contribution you have said you would be willing to pay.

Unfortunately your taking a simple figure and making a very simplistic assumption without considering all the effects, your right is a matter of maths but its a far more complicated maths than you have stated.

I can see why its appealing to think that simply stopping immigration so that say the balance between inward and outward is equal, unfortunately the way the world economy works, the ageing demographic and global population growth means that it would not have the effect you desire.

And you accuse me of being simplistic! The fact is that its a complex calculation and your maths seems to ignore a number of factors.

How do you know an extra 1p or 2p or whatever will be enough to provide the services required for pensioners?

If you stop immigration and thereby with the current birth rate increase the proportion of older to younger people in the population, WHO is going to be providing these services that you are quite happy to pay for?

How do you know that the majority of immigrants are going to stay and spend their old age here? Current indications are that over 50% actually return home.

You have answered how if there is nobody to fill the job vacancies (not those that provide caring/health services) and therefore economic out put declines as a result the taxation gap is going to be filled, this is in addition to the additional contribution you have said you would be willing to pay.

Unfortunately your taking a simple figure and making a very simplistic assumption without considering all the effects, your right is a matter of maths but its a far more complicated maths than you have stated.

I can see why its appealing to think that simply stopping immigration so that say the balance between inward and outward is equal, unfortunately the way the world economy works, the ageing demographic and global population growth means that it would not have the effect you desire.
    Honest answers?

1/2p - Idon't know, I was generalising, it was my way of saying my personal circumstances and ethos mean if I knew extra tax was addressing that issue I for one would be OK with it.

Stop immigration. I didn't say stop immigration, typical of you to jump to an extreme assumption. In the short term, the failure of successive UK govts to invest in training means we desperately need immigrants in some areas, at least til we get our **** together

Providing services - very grateful for the Indian nurse who tended to my daughter recently, not fussed about the army of Spanish barristas working for coffee-house chains who pay no UK tax

50% returning home - I guess you've made that up

Filling vacancies - like I said, I never said STOP immigration

Your downfall is that you start with a stance ('immigration is good') and find justification for it, I'm looking at solving a problem and can see that there are other more progressive ways of solving it, and that IMO the compound impact of mob-handing the problem just stores up grief for the future.

Honest answers?

1/2p - Idon't know, I was generalising, it was my way of saying my personal circumstances and ethos mean if I knew extra tax was addressing that issue I for one would be OK with it.

Stop immigration. I didn't say stop immigration, typical of you to jump to an extreme assumption. In the short term, the failure of successive UK govts to invest in training means we desperately need immigrants in some areas, at least til we get our **** together

Providing services - very grateful for the Indian nurse who tended to my daughter recently, not fussed about the army of Spanish barristas working for coffee-house chains who pay no UK tax

50% returning home - I guess you've made that up

Filling vacancies - like I said, I never said STOP immigration

Your downfall is that you start with a stance ('immigration is good') and find justification for it, I'm looking at solving a problem and can see that there are other more progressive ways of solving it, and that IMO the compound impact of mob-handing the problem just stores up grief for the future.
    My downfall is i stat from the stance immigration is good? Really? Thats an assumption i was responding to your assertion and i quote

"Half a million a year just has to stop, its bonkers. I repeat what I've said before, I love my fellow man so long as he comes in peace, AS AN INDIVIDUAL, but a million every two years is IMO the main reason our public services are creaking, we appear to need extra immigrants just to service the extra immigrants."

That to me says STOP IMMIGRATION, not that you want reasonable immigration or controlled immigration and if the latter is what you mean then say so.

You say solving the problem, mm is this a "problem" thats been used by right wingers to whip up hysteria, when the truth is a little more subtle - lets look at some facts, the North East voted leave heavily, yet are not areas where immigration is a big problem, largely because there are no jobs! The gap between perception and reality is rather big - the problem in many areas is economic decline (funnily enough as a result of Tory industrial or political policies and world economics) with as you correctly say lack of retraining.

Its not however a question of retraining that will solve the "labour shortage", yes there is a skills mismatch but there is also a labour shortage and it is there in unskilled work as much as skilled work so its about the numbers available to work.

No i did not make the 50% up, the facts are that 33% of eu migrant workers return to their country within a year and that 50% of NI numbers are out of use after one year.

But you were implying that the majority of immigrants would stay and become pensioners!

Yes I make the point that overall immigration is good for the country, there is certainly more evidence that supports that than the emotional, poorly evidenced view that its a problem - I'd suggest before something is cited as a problem its worth finding out whether that actually is the case and if so the nature of the problem! That way any solutions can be appropriate and whats more actually be benficial rather than have negative effects which people haven't considered!

That to me says STOP IMMIGRATION, not that you want reasonable immigration or controlled immigration and if the latter is what you mean then say so.
    Yes the latter is what I mean.

Yes the latter is what I mean.
    It helps to be specific, though whats the evidence that immigration is a problem per se?

It helps to be specific, though whats the evidence that immigration is a problem per se?
    It hurts me to say it...but it is a problem Swale. Furthermore, one of the problems is that it is never acknowledged as a problem by those whose politically correct instincts say otherwise. You, I imagine, and I have avoided this issue by having the wit and subsequently the relative affluence to escape the 'problem' on a day to day level but if you'd been left behind on the back streets of any inner city where your colour and heritage now place you in the minority you might think differently. To a large extent this was what, misguidedly, led to the Brexit 'victory' a year ago imo. I speak as someone who recognises the value of immigration, is wholly opposed to racism and has given court evidence against the policing of an anti NF rally but to deny that there are certain problems associated with how immigration has been managed is, I believe, a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    It hurts me to say it...but it is a problem Swale. Furthermore, one of the problems is that it is never acknowledged as a problem by those whose politically correct instincts say otherwise. You, I imagine, and I have avoided this issue by having the wit and subsequently the relative affluence to escape the 'problem' on a day to day level but if you'd been left behind on the back streets of any inner city where your colour and heritage now place you in the minority you might think differently. To a large extent this was what, misguidedly, led to the Brexit 'victory' a year ago imo. I speak as someone who recognises the value of immigration, is wholly opposed to racism and has given court evidence against the policing of an anti NF rally but to deny that there are certain problems associated with how immigration has been managed is, I believe, a mistake.
    Ok ram Anag what is the problem with immigration..Discuss!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    But your not addressing what Brexit was supposed to address which was EU migration, it won't address non EU migration, which is a totally different matter, even though to some extent that may have clouded the thinking of those who voted for Brexit, although if it did influence their vote then clearly there is an issue over people actually understanding reality.

Membership of the EU has nothing whatsoever to do with immigration from outside the EU.

Page 235 of 922 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245285335735 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)